Jul 10, 2022

Sunday Salon: July Library Loot

 I couldn't resist these library books, listed with the publishers' book descriptions.  

Colorful (see my review)

by 
July 20th 2021 by Counterpoint Press
About: A beloved and bestselling classic in Japan, this groundbreaking tale of a dead soul who gets a second chance is now available in English.

"Congratulations, you've won the lottery!" shouts the angel Prapura to a formless soul.



Mimi Lee Cracks the Code

(A Sassy Cat Mystery #3)

by  November 30th 2021 by Berkley
About: Murder follows pet groomer Mimi Lee and her boyfriend Josh to a romantic Catalina Island getaway, where she puts on her best sleuthing hat with her sassy cat Marshmallow in tow.



Fiona and Jane

by  January 4th 2022 by Viking
About: Two young Taiwanese American women navigate friendship, sexuality, identity, and heartbreak over two decades.
Fiona Lin and Jane Shen explore the lonely freeways and seedy bars of Los Angeles together through their teenage years, surviving unfulfilling romantic encounters, and carrying with them the scars of their families' tumultuous pasts.


The Swimmers

Published February 22nd 2022, Knopf Publishing Group
About: What happens to a group of obsessed recreational swimmers when a crack appears at the bottom of their local pool.

The swimmers are unknown to each other except through their private routines (slow lane, fast lane), and the solace each takes in their morning or afternoon laps. But when a crack appears at the bottom of the pool, they are cast out into an unforgiving world without comfort or relief.



Lost and Found in Paris

by April 5th 2022 by William Morrow & Company
About: The ultimate escapist adventure in Paris, its world of art, intrigue, and redemption, told with wit, style, and intrigue. 
Joan escapes to Paris right after learning her husband is the father of five year-old twins by another woman. 

Just finished:


A Familiar Stranger

by xpected publication,  September 27th 2022
Source: NetGalley
About: Lillian Smith is a quiet and ordinary wife and mother. Who will even notice what she’s done?

What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

25 comments:

  1. The only book listed that I've read (listened to) is The Swimmers. Very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Several of these look like fun summer books. I loved The Swimmers - it's heavier but wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the mood for more serious literature these days.

      Delete
  3. the book by Eto Mori sounds fascinating -- Japanese authors often have an unexpected way of looking at the world. I like Julie Otsuka, reviewed The Swimmers here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2022/03/recent-reading.html

    best... mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eager to read the Swimmers and then read your review, Mae.

      Delete
  4. Love the A R Torre cover art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good cat mystery, and The Swimmers looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are not my fav but I like reading about them

      Delete
  6. I liked The Swimmers a lot. Lost and Found in Paris is a very light read, but the mystery aspects of the story, I think, are fun and surprising.

    I'd like to know more about Colorful. It sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to read Colorful too.

      Delete
  7. I've not read any of these, but I love how different they all sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The library offers such a variety of books!

      Delete
  8. Several of these look like great summer reads. I just finished a reread of The Grapes of Wrath and need something lighter, so am starting The Flatshare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those all sound good. I'm in a light mood at the moment, too. It was a little unexpected, but it looks like an old Agatha Christie novel is going to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read Lost and Found in Paris and really liked it. I hope you do too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it and loved it. Just have to finish it now.

      Delete
  11. That's a great library haul! So many good books to choose from, how will you ever decide which to read first? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great variety of books you've here! Colorful sounds intriguing to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It starts off with a bang, and back to earth she goes.

      Delete
  13. Yeah I'd like to read The Swimmers and Fiona & Jane ... but now I'm curious about Colorful too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...