Nov 13, 2022

Sunday Salon: The Moon and NYC

 I was out of town last week so have not read much at all. But I did get some sightseeing done, mostly by car and on foot. The day after we got back, it started to snow. 

Caught between the (full) moon and New York City, Queens


                                    Inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, Manhattan





Currently reading:

I started an ebook, and like it so far.


The Ingenue

A novel of suspense about the bonds of family, the limits of talent, the risks of ambition, and the rewards of revenge.

When former piano prodigy Saskia Kreis returns home to Milwaukee after her mother's unexpected death, she expects to inherit the family estate, the Elf House. But with the discovery that her mother's will bequeathed the Elf House to a man that Saskia shares a complicated history with, she is forced to reexamine her own past--and the romantic relationship that changed the course of her life--for answers. Can she find a way to claim her heritage while keeping her secrets buried, or will the fallout from digging too deep destroy her? *(publisher)


I was intrigued and enthralled by Saskia, the piano prodigy, and her personality which led her into sabotaging her musical career at a young age for a highly questionable and secret relationship. Her mother's successful reinvention of traditional fairy tales for a living features prominently in the novel. This connection to Saskia's life years later was a brilliant part of the plot, as well as the Elf House, a mansion that has been in their family for generations.

I found this a well planned and plotted novel, with well developed characters, and a suspenseful story that certainly rewrites any fairy tale life that Saskia had imagined for herself.

What are you reading this week? 
Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


36 comments:

  1. I love Manhattan. I hope you had a great time. The cathedral is beautiful. :D I hope you have a great week. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The moon is such a great subject for photos. This week’s full moon also went into eclipse the next morning. It must have been quite a sight over NYC.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at that beautiful moon. And what a cathedral. I'd love to go back to New York.

    I hope you enjoy The Ingenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I requested The Ingenue, but didn't get it yet :( Hope you like it. I haven't been to NYC in years; it may be time to visit again. Have a great week and find time to read a good book.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-24

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pic. I love nighttime in the city.

    The Ingenue sounds good, and I like that the estate is called the Elf House. Curious...

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much to see and do in NYC. The last time we were there, before COVID, it was snowy. I think that cathedral was under construction the first time I visited NYC in 2011 but it was near my hotel.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think St. Patrick's is over 140 years old.

      Delete
  7. The cathedral is pretty! I'd love to visit New York someday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love NYC. I really miss being there. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss it too. Didn't see much this past visit.

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed the post. I like reading about places I have never been to and unlikely to
    Ever visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your photos are great! I love the moon photo. I'll be reading The Ingenue soon, so I'm very glad you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moon over NY and the Ingenue were both great.

      Delete
  11. Isn’t that such an awesome song - Between the moon and New York City? Snow…that first day it’s lovely, isn’t it? The Ingenue sounds interesting! I’m reading a few books, The Devil’s Highway (hard copy), Chasing Fireflies (ebook), A curious Beginning (Buddy Read) and The Woman in the Library (audio). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great picture! My moon pics always just look like a blur! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take pics with my cell phone so they are iffy.

      Delete
  13. Pretty pictures. I hope you had a fun trip to NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pics are gorgeous. We lived an hour and half from NYC and usually visited around Christmas. We visited the Cathedral too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a fascinating novel! Glad you enjoyed it, and it looks like something I'd like as well. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice photos. The Ingenue sounds complex. Hope you have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL I am currently reading The Ingenue. Its a good book, makes me wonder if its similar to her previous novel, The Ballerinas, which I didn't like, to be honest, namely due to the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing the pics! I'm sure you'd a fun time in NYC.
    The Ingenue sounds like an intriguing read!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...