Dec 10, 2022

Sunday Salon: Fractured Soul by Akira Mizubayashi, historical fiction

 An historical novel set in Japan and France, with music and restoration as its themes. 


Fractured Soul

Expected publication: April 4th, 2023 by HarperVia

My review:

An anti-war/anti-imperialism novel set in Japan before and during WWII and in France post war. I was overwhelmed by the sorrow of the 11-year-old Rei as he witnessed/heard his father Yu being arrested at a private concert recital and his father's treasured violin smashed by the boots of a Japanese corporal.

The story is moving and yet sentimental; it links classical music, its performance on stringed instruments, and the loss Rei feels when his father disappeared after the arrest. I thought it fitting that Rei becomes a maker/restorer of quality violins in his own shop in France, where he was raised by a French couple who were friends with his missing father Yu.

Rei spends his life trying to overcome the fractured soul he had become from memories of the violence to his father and to Yu's beloved violin. How Rei heals is a story that is eventually soothing, as he connects with others from his past, piecing together what had happened,  in an effort to heal all those who shared his distress.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this amazing historical novel of music, love, loss and restoration.

Currently reading:

Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers

About: Vera Wong is a lonely little old lady, a widow who lives above her forgotten tea shop in San Francisco's Chinatown. Then one morning, Vera trudges downstairs to find a dead man in the middle of her tea shop. (publisher)

My review: I really enjoyed the personality of the quirky yet forceful main character, Vera, the teashop owner. I loved how she decides to solve the murder mystery herself and how she goes about drawing possible suspects to her teashop.

That the people she helps will later help her in turn is an excellent plot feature. There were a few personality inconsistencies with Vera, however, in how she takes care of her own shop versus how she takes care of other people and their homes.

Overall, an enjoyable read.

Finished reading:

The Love Wager

There is a lot of back and forth in this lover-to-friend- to-lover relationship between Jack and Hallie. I just couldn't understand why they insisted on remaining "just friends," when the chemistry between them is so intense.

The trope of being a fake couple and sleeping in the same hotel room to fool friends and family works in this novel for some reason, and I didn't mind the slow build up of the attraction between the two friends/lovers. The book was well written and the plot is a rom com to the nth degree

What are you reading/listening to this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


24 comments:

  1. Such a good variety of book. I'll be reading The Love Wager soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look nice. I like the second one- a dead man in the middle of her tea shop, you don't see that every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fractured Soul sounds so.....heartbreaking. And then you switch to a dead guy in an old lady's tea shop! I like that the amateur is a little old lady.....there should be more with older protagonists! :) Thanks for the visit.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mystery comedy? Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers sounds like fun. The cover is good, too.

    And I'm always a sucker for a book like The Lover Wager.

    I'd probably like both of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read serious books in between lighter ones.

      Delete
  5. Both sound good. I've been in a rom com mood lately so The Love Wager might be something I would like. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these books sound good! I'm especially intrigued by Vera Wong and the mystery in her tea shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fractured Soul does sound like an emotionally charged read--one that I would really like to try. I am excited about Sutanto's new book and hope to read The Love Wager. I am glad you liked that one too. Have a great week and enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These all look interesting though very different but Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers really calss to me. I love the comedy and Vera sounds like the kind of character I really enjoy. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice looks like a lot of fun. And I think I might have to read The Love Wager, too. I do like that fake dating trope when it's done well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vera Wong looks hilarious and I think I would like it. I have read most of the author's other books and liked them, thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Japanese authors & novels you read. I find I'm never disappointed once I start books by Japanese authors. they're usually always so good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...