May 6, 2023

AAPI Heritage Month: Memoir, Two Novels Reviewed

For Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, I'm posting reviews of memoirs and novels I've read and reviewed. Here are a few.
 


Meet Me Tonight in Atlantic City by Jane Wong
Published: May 16, 2023; Tin House Books
Genre: memoir 

I liked the poetic prose that Jane Wong uses for much of this memoir. She has a poet's acute and perceptive reaction to life experiences.

I think of the book as a very personal account of her agonies in growing up among those who didn't understand or accept her - in school, university, in Atlantic City, where her parents ran a restaurant until her father deserted the family. Of having to field stereotyping, microaggressions, outright hostility, and more.

Her mother is the force that bolsters her as she goes through one heartbreak after another in her life and even in her failed relationships with boyfriends. The author does not dwell as much on her rise as a poet and on her academic career as an associate professor of creative writing. But I recall betrayals on her road to that position as well.


In this very honest memoir, the heartache comes through, as does her remarkably resilient mother who sees Jane through all her stages of despair and grief.

I was heartened to see that the author is a successful writer and teacher because of or in spite of all she went through
.


About: Jane Wong is the author of How to Not Be Afraid of Everything from Alice James Books (2021) and Overpour from Action Books (2016). Her debut memoir, Meet Me Tonight in Atlantic City, is being published May 16, 2023. She holds an M.F.A. in Poetry from the University of Iowa and a Ph.D. in English from the University of Washington and is an Associate Professor of Creative Writing at Western Washington University.  


Publication: June 6, 2023; SJP Lit
Genre: contemporary, literary fiction
Setting: New York City and Taipei, Taiwan

I enjoyed the two different stories of two generations in this novel and how they impact one another - the story of Rita and Jing from Taipei, who emigrate to the U.S; and the stories of their daughters, Narisa and Eleanor, who grow up in New York.

Eleanor quits her PhD program in neuroscience; Narisa disappears for good while a teen, after one too many fights with her disapproving parents. Only Eleanor and her mother Rita are left after her father Jing leaves the U.S. and forms a new family in Taipei.

I am left with amazement and dismay at the family dynamics, especially that created by the parents. I wondered how Eleanor would cope with that history of people leaving and with her mother Rita, who is left alone with the girls in the U.S. when Jing leaves.


The novel tells two stories - the history of the parents and their extended family in NY, and that of the girls raised in the U.S. I found both stories fascinating.

About: Elysha Chang lives in Brooklyn, and has taught creative writing at Blue Stoop Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, and Villanova University. A graduate of Columbia's MFA Program, she has published in Center for Fiction Magazine, Fence, GQ, The Rumpus, and others. This is her first novel. 



Happiness Falls
by Angie Kim
Publication: September 5, 2023; Hogarth
Genre: mystery, thriller, literary fiction
Setting: Virginia, USA

A most unusual novel about a missing father of an autistic, verbally challenged 14-year-old, Eugene, who cannot explain in words or actions what happened to his father on that fateful day at the park when Alan disappeared.

I was interested in the description of Eugene's inability to speak coupled with his lack of fine motor skills to use sign language. I enjoyed the mystery - a disappearance that may have been an accident or a murder - and a story that explains that a non-speaking individual that can't control their own movements could still understand speech and even be able to read.

Eugene's older siblings, the twins John and Mia, are intriguing characters, intellectually gifted; the contrast between them and Eugene stands out, especially as the twins try to understand how their dad, Adam, was testing and training Eugene in ways to communicate.

Using technical theories and examples re communication and speech therapies made made the novel more interesting. It was not a problem for me to have a mystery, complex family dynamics, and a novel about a severe disability be all rolled into one in the same book.

I did however, find it unusual and unrealistic for the family to emphasize only verbal communication from Eugene and not the use of simple hand signs for even a Yes or No answer, especially regarding his father's disappearance in the park. Perhaps the topic was too stressful for him to respond in that way. 

A thought provoking book re autistic and non verbal persons, and a suspenseful mystery plot. 


About: Angie Kim moved from South Korea as a preteen. She studied at Stanford University and attended Harvard Law School, where she was an editor of the Harvard Law Review. Her debut novel, Miracle Creek, won several awards and was named one of the best books of the year. Angie has written for numerous literary journals. Happiness Falls is her second novel.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for these ebooks
What are you reading this week?
Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

44 comments:

  1. I've not tried a Jane Wong book yet, I like your review of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read her other books, I like her writing

      Delete
  2. The books look interesting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those first two in particular seem compelling to me. I haven't read a memoir in ages, and Taipei as a setting (or even just where the characters come from) is a setting I haven't seen a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More books by Taiwanese Americans have been coming out recently.

      Delete
  4. I am hoping to read Happiness Falls. I really liked her last book and enjoy reading books with characters that are neurodiverse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have her last book, borrowed from the library and will read it soon. It won a lot of awards, I see.

      Delete
  5. I haven't readd any books by these authors, but they do sound like good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like some interesting books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just started 'Transforming the Skies - Pilots, Planes and Politics in British Aviation, 1919-1940' by Peter Reese, after that I'll be reading 'The Warlow Experiment' by Alix Nathan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the sound of all three of these, especially the memoir. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    I am glad that we have Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. It gives us all an opportunity to learn more about others and ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gave me the impetus to read more AAPI books.

      Delete
  9. All of these sound like good books, but I'm especially intrigued by Happiness Falls with the whole mystery of the dad's disappearance and his autistic son being the only witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mystery that also had a social message.

      Delete
  10. I've heard a lot of good things about Happiness Falls - thank you for your recommendations and thoughts on three intriguing and unusual books. Have a great week:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happiness Falls does seem like an intriguing read and I will take a closer look.

    Thanks for sharing all these awesome books!

    Have a great week ahead!

    a href="https://elzareads.com/the-sunday-post-93/">Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book was unusual and very interesting.

      Delete
  12. The first two sound especially appealing to me. I like when a memoirist uses poetic language.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you find a few books, Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m intrigued by the premise of Happiness Falls.

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happiness Falls sounds like a compelling novel. Have a good week.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've not read these authors.
    The covers are beautiful.

    Have a great week1

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your books look interesting. They are all new to me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't really read based on "themes" but these books do appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happiness Falls sounds very interesting. I've not seen that one before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All three of these sound good, Harvee. I am especially interested in Meet Me Tonight in Atlantic City. I do not read a lot of memoirs, but that sounds like one I would really like. Elysha Chang's novel appeals to me as well. I enjoy intergenerational stories quite a bit. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these three books! I am adding all three of them to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good choices for AAPI Heritage. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mystica VarathapalanMay 9, 2023 at 12:58 AM

    Intriguing books all new to me

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great list! Thank you!

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've not heard of these books but they all sound so unique and interesting! Thanks for your lovely reviews, Harvee!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Replies
    1. There are more AAPI books and memoirs this year than I can read and review!

      Delete
  26. Thanks for reviewing the Angie Kim novel. Seems different. I had read her debut novel but the accident in it was pretty grim.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These sound good, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. A Quitter's Paradise sounds like a good book. Memoirs and thrillers aren't normally my kind of genres. I hope you have a good week x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...