Jul 22, 2023

Sunday Salon: Soon to be Published Asian Literature

 What I'm reading



Nails and Eyes by Kaori Fujino
Publication: September 12, 2023; Pushkin Press
Genre: horror, novella and short stories, Japan

Description

Tense, subtly disturbing Japanese literary horror perfect for fans of Tender is the Flesh and The Vegetarian

An unforgettably creepy child narrator weaves uncanny tales about her new stepmother in this feminist horror novella + short story collection that introduces a unique new voice in Japanese literature. (publisher)

This is not my usual genre to read, but I'm curious about what a Japanese author has written for a "feminist horror novella."

Publication: December 5, 2023; Ecco
Genre: Cambodian-American literature, essays, stories

A collection of sharply funny, emotionally expansive essays and short fiction exploring family, queer desire, pop culture, and race. Author So explores community, grief, and longing with inimitable humor and depth. (publisher)

“one of the most exciting contributions to Asian American literature in recent years” (Vulture"An astonishing final expression by a writer of “extraordinary achievement and immense promise” (The New Yorker).

I read his short story collection, Afterparties,  and was very impressed by his vibrant and vivid depiction of the Cambodian community in a Southern California town.

Anthony Veasna So was a graduate of Stanford University and earned his MFA in fiction at Syracuse University. His writing has appeared in the New Yorker, n+1, Granta, and ZYZZYVA.

 
What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?prisinjuly2023
#parisinjuly2023

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday.

23 comments:

  1. Nails and Eyes sounds good! I need to finish a few review books this week. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has me moving it up on my TBR list too!

      Delete
  2. It's great to hear that there are good Cambodian-American literature and good Japanese literary horror being published and widely distributed. I look forward to hearing what you think of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just started 'A Game of Birds and Wolves - The Secret Game that Revolutionised the War' by Simon Parkin, up next after that will be 'The Quiet American' by Graham Greene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued by the Cambodian-American author and I need to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His first book, Afterparties, a collection of his short stories, was excellent.

      Delete
  5. Haven't heard of So, though I do subscribe to the New Yorker. I don't read everything in it, though. Thanks for the visit earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His short story from the Afterparties was printed in the New Yorker and is excellent. Hope you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  6. A Japanese horror tale is very intriguing. Japanese folklore has some very scary creatures in it, I wonder if this is related.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know their ghost storie are terrific too.

      Delete
  7. Nails and Eyes certainly sounds interesting. I've been surprised, impressed, and wowed by the fiction that comes out of Japan on such a consistent basis. There are some wonderful writers coming from that part of the world who deserve more exposure to the rest of the world than they are getting. Some of my favorites from the last few years are: Convenience Store Lady by Sayaka Murata, Out by Natsuo Kirino, and The Thief by Fuminori Nakamura.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be interesting to see what you think of it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh Nails and Eyes sounds really creepy. I'll have to check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Japanese horror is not something I've tried before although I have been reading more Japanese books. I may have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking books! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not always comfortable with horror fiction, so I'll first be waiting for your thoughts on this one.
    Here is my post, with giveaways:
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/07/23/sunday-post-89-07-23-2023-book-giveaways-galore/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sound interesting for the genre - my October reading if I were to read them. I hope you like them both. Have a good week and Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nails and Eyes sounds very intriguing! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I curate my May reading around Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, so thanks for the heads up on these. I'll be adding them to that Goodreads shelf. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  16. Songs of Endless Repeat sounds wonderful. I bet my daughter would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nails and Eyes sounds creepy. I'll have to look for it when I start my annual horror reading in October. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...