Aug 5, 2023

Sunday Salon: Hope, Hunger, First Lie Wins: Three Books



First Lie Wins by Ashley Elston

Publication: January 2024, Penguin Group Viking; NetGalley

Genre: mystery, thriller 

My comments:

The title of this thriller was so intriguing that I wanted to read and finish it right away!

Evie Porter lives a lie every day, under aliases provided by her unknown but powerful boss, Mr. Smith. Her risky but lucrative full time job is to secretly act like a spy, get compromising information on targeted individuals that Mr. Smith uses to his advantage. 

Evie's real name lives only in her memory though she hopes one day to leave Smith, reclaim it, and be honest about her past growing up poor. 

The suspense in the novel comes from the risky ways Evie has to get people's private information. Luckily, she has her own secret - a helper named Devon who is tech savvy and totally loyal to Evie. Suspense is heightened when Evie thinks Smith is targeting her for removal, which means she has to find ways to survive.

I found the plot unusual and the characters well developed. 


Currently reading


Hope by Anthony Ridker
Pub Date 11 Jul 2023
Genre: general fiction, adult

A hilarious and heartfelt novel about a seemingly perfect family in an era of waning American optimism, from the acclaimed author of The Altruists

The year is 2013 and the Greenspans are the envy of Brookline, Massachusetts, an idyllic (and idealistic) suburb west of Boston. Scott Greenspan is a successful physician with his own cardiology practice. 
But when Scott is caught falsifying blood samples at work, he sets in motion a series of scandals that threatens to shatter his family.

From Brookline to Berlin to the battlefields of Syria, Hope follows the Greenspans over the course of one tumultuous year as they question, and compromise, the values that have shaped their lives. But in the midst of their disillusionment, they’ll discover their own capacity for resilience, connection, and, ultimately, hope. (publisher)



Hunger: A Novella and Stories
 by Lan Samantha Chang

Published January 1, 2000, Norton and Company

Genre: short stories, novella, Asian American fiction

Not since Maxine Hong Kingston and Amy Tan has a fiction writer explored with such powerful intensity the experience of being Asian American. The characters are caught between the burden of their past history and the fragility of their unchartered future.

 Hunger illuminates how first-generation immigrants from China, culturally and emotionally uprooted from their homeland, mistrust connection even as they hunger for attachment ― and how the past affects and shapes their children. (publisher)

My comments:

I've just finished  "Hunger," a novella about a violinist from China, Tian, who sacrifices loyalty to his family in China to come to the United States to pursue his craft, but failure to get a coveted job after finishing music school, leads him to make demands that devastate his family, himself, and his children.  His hunger for music drives him to demand from his younger daughter, Ruth, the same passion for artistic perfection and performing, with unhappy results. 

The second story in the collection, "Water Names," focuses on the mother of three young girls, and a hint of a yearning for a past love left behind in China.  

I'll be reading the other short stories in this collection soon.


Finished reviewing: WWII historical fiction. Click on titles for my goodreads reviews:

The Last Masterpiece by Laura MorelliThe Forgotten Bookshop in Paris by Daisy Wood


What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?injuly202

3Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox MondayParis in July 2023


42 comments:

  1. Just started 'Thinning the Turkey Herd' by Robert Campbell, next up will be 'Churchill and the King - The Wartime Alliance between Winston Churchill and George VI' by Kenneth Weisbrode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinning the turkey herd is relevant to the upcoming holiday. We have had roast duck instead at times as we find it much more tasty, and a smaller bird/

      Delete
  2. I never plan my reading schedule in advance. I have a number of books in my Kindle reading queue and just read whichever one appeals to me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a mood reader so I go with my interest at the moment.

      Delete
  3. That's an interesting book list. After "Paris in July" which was shared by many bloggers, I've gone off on my own and I'm doing Japan in August.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many good Japanese novels I hope to read.

      Delete
  4. Your books are new to me, I hope you enjoy all of them. I have all the books I want to read bookmarked and I usually just pick my next read randomly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three interesting titles, thanks for sharing your thoughts on them

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  6. These all sound very good. I haven't heard First Lie Wins, and I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice batch of books. Hunger sounds especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First Lie Wins does sound like a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the cover of Hope. It brings back so many not-so-pleasant memories from being that age where all the girls suddenly seem to be taller than the boys their age. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First Lie Wins is a great title and the book sounds interesting. I tried to click thru and read your review of Forgotten Bookshop, and though it links to GR, I couldn't find your review. I'm reading it regardless because it sounds so good - Thanks for the visit. Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed the link, Terrie, so it should link to my review now.

      Delete
  11. First Lie wins does sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about this book by Chang, but I was so impressed by an earlier one (2010): https://wordsandpeace.com/2011/03/10/all-is-forgotten-nothing-is-lost/
    I also want to read The Family Chao by her - published in 2022

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at your review and it seems that there are similar themes with the Hunger novella. Father in immigrant household and the passion for art.

      Delete
  13. They do sound interesting. I hope you enjoy them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First Lie Wins has a great title and cover. I'm curious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like some good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know which of these sounds most interesting. I am not a big thriller reader but the idea behind First Lie Wins sounds intriguing. And the blurb for Hope makes it sound very promising, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope is very contemporary, big city. Revealing.

      Delete
  17. The Forgotten Bookshop looks really good. And First Lie Wins sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am adding Hunger to my short story collection wish list. First Lie Wins sounds gripping! I will have to check that one out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worthwhile and revealing about new immigrants and their lives.

      Delete
  19. Someone else mentioned The Forgotten Bookshop in Paris. I'll have to check it out. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. All three of these look good for you. I particularly like the sound of First Lie Wins. Enjoy your week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry - I forgot to input the Google info that last comment was MarthaE.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...