Aug 19, 2023

Sunday Salon: Library Finds and a Review

Library Books 

The Poet's House by Jean Thompson, July 12, 2022; Algonquin

Genre: poetry, contemporary fiction, literary fiction, adult fiction

Setting: Northern California 

I dabble in poetry on occasion, usually early in the morning or late at night. I have books and tablets with my scribbles, not many poems longer than a handwritten page.  So, I was interested in the title of this book, and I was not disappointed in reading it.

A young woman in her early twenties, Carla has a reading disability, as she describes it, but doesn't give us a medical term for it. She works as a landscaper but is pushed by her mother to find something more stable.

She does yard work for a well known poet, Viridian, an elderly woman who takes to Carla and encourages her to attend her dinners and mingle with her poet and publisher friends. She reads her poems to Carla, who slowly begins to understand the words and the concepts, and finds herself drawn to the power of words, their meaning and power to enlighten.

The book is about Carla coming out of her shy shell, but is mostly about the artists and writers she comes in contact with. Their eccentricities in dress, manners, ways of communicating, and their love of gatherings with unusual, to her, food and drink and of course, poetry, pulls her slowly in.

She helps them, especially the charismatic Viridian, as much as they help her.  I enjoyed the book, found it refreshing and hopeful, but full of the vivacity and the trauma of life as well.



Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson, March 7, 2023; Pamela Dorman Books

The book description grabbed me: 

"Shot through with the indulgent pleasures of life among New York’s one-percenters, Pineapple Street is an addictive, escapist novel that sparkles with wit." 



The Mistress of Bhatia House  by Sujata Massey, July 11, 2023: Soho Press

Genre: mystery, historical fiction, India

The first books in the series that I've read, I've found very interesting historically and culturally. 

In this latest book, Bombay’s only female solicitor, Perveen Mistry, grapples with class divisions, sexism, and complex family dynamics as she seeks justice for a mistreated young woman in the fourth installment of the award–winning series. (publisher)



Zero Days by Ruth Ware, June 20, 2023; Scout Press

Genre: mystery, thriller, suspense

The library now has copies of this book, as British author, Ruth Ware, is a popular mystery writer. I hope the book is as good as it's reputed to be. 

About: Hired by companies to break into buildings and hack security systems, Jack and her husband, Gabe, are the best in the business. But after a routine assignment goes horribly wrong, Jack arrives home to find her husband dead. To add to her horror, the police are closing in on their suspect—her. She is suddenly on the run....(publisher)


Library magazines:

The poems and the short stories and an occasional essay in the New Yorker magazine are still my go to reading. Borrowed three June editions from  the library. But the chilling short story in the most recent edition, August 21, really got to me. 

Fiction

“The End Is Only a Beginning” 

"The End Is Only a Beginning" by T. Coraghessan Boyle is about the very early days of the pandemic, when the virus appeared early in France. Riley goes off to Paris on business, without his wife, Caroline, who had to stay with her dying mother. 

Riley remains faithful to his wife but is reckless in what he does, where he goes, who he associates with. But on returning home, he gives the virus to his younger, healthier wife Caroline, while he remains asymptomatic. 

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?injuly202

3Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

39 comments:

  1. I read "Pineapple Street" earlier this summer and can highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zero Days sounds like my kind of book and I'll take a look at Pineapple Street - it could be something different. Have a terrific week!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-60

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a varied Coll. They all look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cover of the Massey book, and have the first one on my TBR. I love the sound of the first one too- it seems like so many creative types are quirky or eccentric.

    I love the art in The New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massey's book covers are always interesting.

      Delete
  5. Sujata Massey's books about Bombay have appealed to me also -- I think there are a few Sunday Salon participants who have mentioned them (or maybe just you?). I haven't read this one.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massey is quite popular. I loved her first mysteries set in Japan.

      Delete
  6. Just started 'In the Shadows of the American Century - The Rise and Decline of US Global Power' by Alfred W McCoy, which seems very good. Next up will be 'The Real-Town Murders' by Adam Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious about what the book says about the decline.

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed The Poet's House. The Ruth Ware one sounds good also. I'm in the middle of a historical romance this week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last historical reads are all set in WWII.

      Delete
  8. This looks a good one, I like Ware's books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Zero Days. I hope you like it too. Here's my SP: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2023/08/20/sunday-post-back-home/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve enjoyed the Perveen Mistry series too, so I’ll be adding book 4 to my TBR

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cover of that first one! Hope you enjoy them all and have a great week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read any of Ruth Ware's books - but you're right, she's extremely popular here in the UK. I hope you enjoy it, along with your other reads:)). I'm attending a poetry reading tomorrow afternoon and very much looking forward to it. Have a great week, Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful covers! Nice to hear you're enjoying them. It's been a while since I've read a Ruth Ware. I look forward to your thoughts! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pineapple Street sounds good, I think we all need books that sparkle with wit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pineapple Street sounds familiar, I'll check to see if I've read it or just meant to and haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been meaning to try the Sujata Massey books. I started the first one awhile back but for some reason set it aside. I absolutely love historical mysteries set in India so you've made me remember to go back and finish it. Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like several covers: The Poet's House and The Mistress of Bhatia House. Zero Days sounds like a story I would like. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have Pineapple Street on my TBR list, I can't wait until I can get to it. Have a beautiful day, Harvee ☕🌞📚💛

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice looking assortment of books. I should check out what my local library has. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Poet's House does sound like a good one! It's the first I've seen of it. Happy reading the rest of these. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zero Days jumped out at me. Ruth is on my list for when I visit the library to renew my card. Hope you have a great week.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice assortment of books this week. These are all new to me. Hope you enjoy them.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_094411647.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the word Pineapple in general. I hope all your books are good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Poet's House sounds interesting though I rarely read poetry. I DFN'ed Pineapple Street as I just couldn't find myself invested in the story. I'll be curious of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed the couple of Ruth Ware books I have read and want to read Zero Days. The Mistress of Bhatia House really appeals to me too. I will have to check that series out. I hope you enjoy your reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This one by Ruth Ware does sound good. enjoy!
    I had 1 in my Mailbox: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/08/21/book-review-claudine/

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...