Sep 23, 2023

New Books: The Raging Storm and The Paris Novel

 

In My Mailbox



The Raging Storm ( Two Rivers #3) by Ann Cleeves

Publication: September 5, 2023; Minotaur

Source: ARC from publisher

Genre: mystery, police procedural, British crime fiction

When Jem Rosco—sailor, adventurer, and legend—blows into town in the middle of an autumn gale, the residents of Greystone, Devon, are delighted to have a celebrity. But Rosco disappears again, and his body is discovered in a dinghy, anchored off Scully Cove.

This is an uncomfortable case for Detective Inspector Matthew Venn. Greystone is a place he visited as a child and parted ways with. Superstition and rumour mix with fact as another body is found.

As the winds howl, and Venn and his team investigate, he realizes that no one is safe from Scully Cove’s storm of dark secrets.

Ann Cleeves— award-winning author of the Vera and Shetland series, both hit TV shows—returns with The Raging Storm, the third book in the Matthew Venn series. (publisher

\She is a prolific writer of crime fiction, with three different series featuring British detectives. I reviewed one of her other books, The Darkest Evening (Vera Stanhope #9) and enjoyed it but was impatient to have the ending wrap up more quickly.


Currently reading

The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl

Publication: April 30, 2024; Random House, NetGalley

Genre; historical fiction, women's fiction, Paris, food

It's all about 1980s Paris and a woman whose mother left her a will with instructions and money to spend time in that city. Stella discovers herself in Paris, what she really likes - food, fashion, art - and this takes her far from her circumscribed life as an earnest copy editor for a small publisher back in the U.S.  In Paris, she meets writers like Alan Ginsburg and James Baldwin, in the famous Shakespeare and Company bookstore where she takes refuge when her hotel stay and money run out. 

I'm enjoying the book so far and wondering just what else Stella will discover about herself and about the city and its people.

See my full review on Goodreads.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?injuly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

32 comments:

  1. Ann Cleeves is one of my favorite writers of mysteries. I'm currently reading and enjoying "The Raging Storm."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want to read The Raging Storm! I haven't read her before and this sounds so good. I have The Paris Novel to read. I love Ruth Reichl. I've read most of her nonfiction books and look forward to seeing how she writes fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any novel set in Paris! And the cover of Raging Storm is amazing. Happy reading! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started 'Anarchism - A Beginner's Guide' by Ruth Kinna. Next will be 'Pietr the Latvian' by Georges Simenon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, The Raging Storm sounds really good!!! I like the cover of The Paris Novel, I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a police procedure read. Anything with Paris in the title is also a draw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At some point, I need to read Ann Cleeves. I know she has lots of fans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Paris Novel by Ruth Reichl? Wow. On the one hand, I am crazy about anything set in Paris. In addition, I have loved Reichl's foodie memoirs. On the other hand, I'm not always keen about nonfiction authors writing fiction. I look forward to hearing your full review of this book. I've added it to my wish list---such a long time to wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a foodie romance novel. She gets the food aspect in. Plus the romance, just barely.

      Delete
  9. Oh, The Paris Novel sounds like a good read. I can't wait to read your review. Have a wonderful week, Harvee ☕๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both books sound interesting. What a great setting for the Paris Novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The books look good. The Paris Novel really grabbed my attention. Sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just added The Raging Storm to my wish list! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Paris Novel looks good, and I enjoy Ann Cleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can’t decide if I want to read more Vera Stanhope or watch more of the TV episodes of her novels!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I prefer reading the Shetland series to watching it on TV as they've made it so very dark and gloomy. But I haven't read any of the latest series, so I've some catching up to do. I hope the coming week is a good one:)>

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy to see a third book in this series; seems like they are coming at a quick pace because I still haven't managed to work in the second book in that series. I'm looking forward to both of them. Did the TV series based on these ever have a second season or did Covid kill it off?

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Raging Storm looks awesome. I love how atmospheric the cover is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed the Raging Storm. I really want to try her other series when I can manage it.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the first Matthew Venn book and really enjoyed it but it's just hard to keep up with so many series I enjoy. Glad to hear both of these books have been good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Raging Storm sounds fascinating. Hope you enjoy it.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/09/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm interested in the new Ann Cleeves book. I haven't read one of hers for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've enjoyed the Cleeves series and look forward to reading the new book. Have a good week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ruth Reichl is a favorite.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both books sound good. I'm glad you are enjoying them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The Paris Novel sounds fun and I really must read something by Cleeves soon; I have heard wonderful reviews of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Raging Storm sounds particularly good. I thought I had read Cleeves but don't see that I have so I need to find one to read. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You can always count on Ann Cleeves for a good story. I've read the first two books in this series. I didn't realize the third was out--thanks for featuring it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...