Nov 25, 2023

Didn't See That Coming by Jesse Q. Sutanto and Two Murder Mysteries: Sunday Salon

 



Didn't See That Coming by Jesse Q. Sutanto
Puplication: November 28, 2023; Delacorte; NetGalley
Genre: YA, romance, teen

I liked the themes explored in the novel of a high school girl, Kiki Siregar of Jakarta using a boy's name for her game name online in order to protect herself, a girl, from ridicule and outright threats by male game players.

I thought that having her foil, the obnoxious wealthy gamer Jason, be her classmate at school, added to the conflict in the plot. It was also clever that her best friend on the online game happens to be another male classmate, neither of whom realizes that girl classmate Kiki is the game player they interact with online .

There is, of course, romance in the story of the teens. The author wrote an entertaining young romance with a broader message, that sexism in society and in some private schools give preference to males that put girls at a distinct disadvantage.

A book not just for YA and teen readers, but it has a message for adults as well.


In my mailbox  



The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot #4) with an intro by Ruth Ware came courtesy of Penguin Random House. Publication Nov. 28, 2023, Signet. 
The Agatha Christie mystery was first published in 1926 and is the Anthony Award Nominee for Best Novel of the Century (2000)CWA Best Ever for Crime Novel (2013) 

Publisher: Roger Ackroyd knew too much. He knew that the woman he loved had poisoned her brutal first husband. He suspected also that someone had been blackmailing her. Then, tragically, came the news that she had taken her own life with an apparent drug overdose.

However, the evening post brought Roger one last fatal scrap of information, but before he could finish reading the letter, he was stabbed to death. Luckily one of Roger’s friends and the newest resident to retire to this normally quiet village takes over—none other than Monsieur Hercule Poirot . . 

Are you a Poirot fan, and have you read this one?




The Murder of Mr. Ma by John Shen Yen Nee and SJ Rozan, came courtesty of Soho Press. 
Publication: April 2, 2024, Soho Crime

Judge Dee surfaces again, in this new novel. I have read several of the detective novels featuring investigator Judge Dee, written in the 1960s by Dutch writer Robert Van Gulik 

Publisher: London, 1924. When shy academic Lao She meets larger-than-life Judge Dee Ren Jie, his life abruptly turns from books to daring chases and narrow escapes. Dee has come to London to investigate the murder of a man he’d known during World War I when serving with the Chinese Labour Corps. No sooner has Dee interviewed the grieving widow than another dead body turns up. Then another. All stabbed to death with a butterfly sword. Will Dee and Lao be able to connect the threads of the murders—or are they next in line as victims?

John Shen Yen Nee and SJ Rozan’s collaboration blends traditional gong'an crime fiction and the most iconic aspects of the Sherlock Holmes canon.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?ly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday.

45 comments:

  1. Ah, Roger Ackroyd! That was the book that confirmed me as a mystery reader SO many years ago. There have been a lot of mysteries through my brain since then but none have exceeded "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" in its impact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just finished a History of Iceland a day or two earlier than expected, so up next is 'Narconomics - How to Run a Drug Cartel' by Tom Wainwright. After that will be 'Storm Force to Narvik' by Alexander Fullerton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Narconomics sounds fascinating.

      Delete
    2. Just about to finish it. It's *really* good, although - being the subject matter that it is - a bit nasty at times...

      Delete
    3. Hae you watched Breaking Bad on Netflix, about a meth dealer in New Mexico?

      Delete
  3. I've been reading some Hercule Poirot but haven't made it to Roger Ackroyd. People have told me that it's their favorite, so I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesse Q. Sutanto is such a versatile author. She writes rom coms, suspense and now YA. I've been curious about "Didn't See That Coming" since I'd last visited the bookstore so I'm glad to hear it was a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to prefer her rom coms though the other books are enjoyable too.

      Delete
  5. The teen book drew me in. Not a genre I would normally like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see what teens are up to these days.

      Delete
  6. As a former gamer, Didn't See That Coming sounds really good!! I will have to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have fun with this book if you're a gamer or former gamer!

      Delete
  7. I never read an Agatha Christie book and I reached out to my fellow bloggers, asking for recommendations. It was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd which was recommended to me over and over. So I read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd as my first Christie---and loved it.

    The gaming book sounds like a book that would appeal to many teens, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vividly remember reading Roger Ackroyd and feeling... well a bit torn, to be honest. I won't say more and look forward to finding out what you think:)). Have a great week:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I'll read and try to find out about a possible controversy.

      Delete
  9. I read a lot of Agatha Christie books before I started using Goodreads, so, of course, I can't remember the ones I have read and the ones I haven't. I hope you enjoy all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a big Poirot fan! Although I haven't yet read all of Christie's Poirot mysteries. Hopefully someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Poirot fan too but haven't read this one as yet

      Delete
  11. S.J.Rozan’s detectives (Lydia Chin and Bill Smith) are featured in a good series that I read a long time ago. I once volunteered to drive her from a book fair appearance to the airport so I feel as if I know her!
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Agatha Christie books. I tend to prefer Miss Marple but I have read all the Poirot books too. I like most mysteries.

    Anne - Books of My Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the eccentric Poirot but Miss Marple is equally interesting.

      Delete
  13. Oh I haven't tried any YA by Jesse Q. Sutanto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is spreading her wings into other genres. I've just read her first thriller, I'm Not Done with You Yet.

      Delete
  14. I like the sound of the first one. And I'd like to read Roger Aykroyd. That last one sounds like a fabulous read too, I like the time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could read the Christie and the Ma book soon.

      Delete
  15. I really need to read more Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the sound of Didnt See This Coming

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adding the Christie to my TBR
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have only heard of Christie. I am currently reading Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your books sound good. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still need to read the Judge Dee's novels, but it's fun to see him here again

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know what it's going to take to get me to read Agatha Christie. Despite the best intentions, and the books of hers I've purchased, I never seem to get around to it. Maybe this one is where I should begin...or will it be all downhill after that if I do so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one has gotten rave reviews. I haven't read it but I hope to.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...