May 18, 2024

David Nicholls: Novels on Love and Marriage

I rediscovered author David Nicholls whose new book, You Are Here, will be published May 28. Thanks to an ARC from NetGalley, I was able to read and give another five stars, a rating I also gave to his book, Us, published 2014. 



Us by David Nicholls

Publication Sept. 30, 2014
Genre: family drama, travel

Review: Douglas, a "nerdy" and rigid biochemist tries to save his strained marriage and reconnect with his teenage son during a month-long Grand Tour of Europe. His wife, Connie, a much freer spirit then he, wants to return to her art and the freedom she had as a single woman twenty five years previously. Their son Albie, soon to be a college student, seems estranged and uncommunicative with his father.

The adventure in Europe changes Douglas and exposes him to new experiences and people that open up his previously narrow view of life. It changes the family dynamic as well. The ending is a surprise one.

My rating: 5 stars. Great plot about family dynamics; wonderful characterizations. I may reread this travel and family drama as I  reviewed it nine years ago!


Review

Here is the author's newest book, a love story that begins and develops during a long hike in the hills and dells of Northern England. I gave it five stars.



You Are Here by David Nicholls
Publication: May 28, 2024; Harper, NetGalley
Genre: romance, travel

Review: Michael and Marnie meet on a coast to coast hiking trip in the North of England that was organized by a mutual friend. They are both single, being divorced or separated from their significant others, and their friend Cleo has brought them together with this hike. 

This is basically a romance that develops during a ten-mile hiking trip that brings the two people closer together. I liked how they open up to each other, albeit rather slowly and tentatively at first, on this hike. The book is character centered, the personalities of Michael and Marnie emphasized as they reveal more about themselves to each other.

The last part of the book had the most interest, as Marnie leaves the hike to return to London and the reader is left wondering if she will ever get together with Michael again. That there are still issues with their significant others to clear up adds to the drama.

An enjoyable book, though slow in the middle as conversation between the two doesn't advance the plot as quickly as it could.  The descriptive writing is superb, however, and some of the conversation is witty and original in its humor. 


Some of Nicholls' other books:


One Day, published June 2009. I plan to read these soon. 

Description: Two people meet on graduation day and meet on the same day for the next 20 years, the book description of this romance seems to say.



 The Understudy, published 2005.

Description: A hapless, bumbling bloke in love, an arrogant megastar with a potpourri of addictions, a sexy married woman out of her element in the fast lane–David Nicholls brings them all together in this knockout romantic comedy.

What are you reading/watching this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves     


24 comments:

  1. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Emily Henry's Funny Story as I read it over the last couple of days, so I might put in a request for You Are Here. I am most interested in characters and the way they grow and change from the relationships people have with others. Us sounds intriguing, too. It can be nice to escape into books when the world seems to get more and more crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read Funny Story when it comes to the library.

      Delete
  2. Presently half-way through 'Persians: The Age of the Great Kings' by Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones. Next up will be 'Sunburn' by Laura Lippman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you are going to read Lippman and it's a thriller novel, I'm guessing. I've liked her books.

      Delete
  3. I don't know David Nicholls, but this selection sounds interesting. That's a name I'll have to look more into. I spent an hour getting the oil changed in my grandson's truck this morning while completely immersing myself in James Lee Burke's latest Dave Robicheaux novel, "Clete." Burke has been a favorite of mine since the eighties, and even though he's now over 80 years old, he doesn't seem to have yet lost a step. I hope he has more books in him yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read anything by David Nicholls, but glad you enjoy him. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've haven't read David Nicholls, but these sound like ones I would like. I've been fantasizing about travel, so I'm intrigued by the Grand European Tour and the coast-to-coast hike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read David Nicholls either. I have started watching the TV series of One Day. I have heard how it ends and so I am waiting until I am in the right headspace to watch the end.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Day is on Netflix! Just found it

      Delete
    2. Had me in tears

      Delete
  7. I'm ashamed to say that I've not read anything by this author before, not even One Day. D: Thinking about seeing it on Netflix before deciding to pick up their books. So glad you loved their new one! <3

    aimee @ aimee can read

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recall reading Us and finding it a bit heartbreaking, in amongst the general travel drama. Though a memorable and riveting read that made my Outstanding Reads list in 2015. I'm glad you enjoyed the new book by Nicholls and thank you for an informative review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read Us and liked it. I just added a few more of his to my TBR list. I like books about family dynamics. Thanks for dropping by and mentioning the great food you had in Markham.

    ReplyDelete
  10. US sounds intriguing. I'm going to add a couple of these...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like some very interesting reads.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look likes some good reading was had. I am reading the crave series. Time stoppers and a james ponti middle grade. Listening to chaos and flame. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't read David Nicholl's books but they do sound good. I'll have to look for them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like you've had a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like interesting books. I haven't heard of the author before. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love re-discovering loved but forgotten authors. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Us was on my TBR list last year, and then I forgot about it and never read it. It still appeals and since you liked it, I really should remember to read it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I went to add this to my GoodReads list, and it turns out that I did read it in 2015 and gave it 5 stars. Senior moment, for sure!!!

      Delete
  18. I've read Us and You Are Here by Nicholls. I think I liked Us a bit better. It swept me up and I liked the humor better. Glad you read all these.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Empresses of Seventh Avenue by Nancy MacDonell: Historical Novel

 Fashion in Paris and New York City during WWII   Empresses of Seventh Avenue World War II, New York City, and the Birth of American Fashion...