Jun 29, 2024

New ARCs I'm Willing to Try: Sunday Salon

 Why read these new books? A hit or miss selection.



July 16, 2024; Atria Books, NetGalley

Description

A group of wealthy Manhattanites escape to an astrology-themed retreat, where simmering resentments and long-held secrets lead to a shocking death in this fresh, twisty, and suspenseful debut.

Why I'll read: I'd like to see if the author is supportive of astrologists or not, as the astrologer host of the retreat in this book has a secret plan for her guests.



May 14, 2024; Harper, NetGalley

Description: A grand English country house, one American divorcee, three rich wives, two tycoons, a pair of miniature sausage dogs and one (bereaved) butler; in this impossibly funny novel.

Setting: the rose-strewn Cotswold villages of Little Bottom, Middle Bottom, Great Bottom, and Monkton Bottom, recently annexed by a glittering new breed of female: the Country Princess.

The wives have a falling out and chaos in the villages ensues. 

Why I'll read: I'm willing to give this humorous novel a try, as the Cotswold setting can be picturesque and the "country princess" wives have piqued my curiousity.




October 29, 2024; Mariner Books, NetGalley

Description:
A new mystery novel of ambition, legacy, and betrayal from the author of The Girl on the Train. A web of secrets and lies and a present-day discovery that connects three people. 

Setting: An isolated Scottish island, accessible to the mainland only twelve hours a day

Why I'll read: in the mood for a mystery thriller, plus I like the Scottish island setting and love the cover of the book. 



August 13, 2024; Red Hen Press, NetGalley

Description:

Don't look back. Did Eurydice want to return from the underworld? Did anybody ask?

In this portrait of rage and resilience, a Korean woman tries to connect with her younger brother and grapple with family tragedy through bedtime stories that weave together Greek mythology, neuroscience, and tales from their grandmother’s slipping memory.

Why I'll read: a literary novel to add to other genres of books. Besides, I love Greek myths and am interested in seeing how it's mixed in with neuroscience and how the brain functions.


What are you reading/watching this week?  

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves 

19 comments:

  1. I've been trying and almost immediately bailing on a lot of new books this summer. Wives Like Us sounds very appealing to me; I'm in the mood for a humorous novel and so far I haven't really run across much that is light and funny that works for me. The Astrology House has an intriguing plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems there are more and more quite mediocre books being published lately. I am doing the same as you are - bailing out after the book stops holding my interest.

      Delete
  2. These sound interesting. I hope you like them when you get round to reading them!
    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/06/29/stacking-the-shelves-70/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always intrigued by books set in the British Isles, but I love that description of Memento Mori.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Paula Hawkins but wasn't aware of this title by her. Also, any setting in the Cotswolds would be a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paula Hawkins is bound to write a good book. I've enjoyed her writing in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am eager to read the new Paula Hawkins book! Enjoy all of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like some interesting books. Hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Astrology House sounds interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of these I'd go with The Blue Hour. I still remember The Girl on the Train ... so hopefully the author has another good one in her. Enjoy these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. None of these are my type, so I'm not going to be able to help you choose! I hope you enjoy whichever you go with.
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the Astrology House to review. I hope I'll like it. The Blue Hour looks good. I'll have to check it out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just requested the Hawkins book on NetGalley. Hopefully I get approved!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! All of these books look interesting! Great picks!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Astrology house sounds interesting. Let me know if my fellow Aquarian character does anything interesting, if there is one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't fare very well, but I don't think it's because of his birth sign.

      Delete
  15. I've enjoyed other Paula Hawkins books so I think I might try this one. In fact, several of the titles you mention sound interesting. And my reading list grows and grows.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Momento Mori sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Paris in July 2024: Four Books and a Recipe for a French Omelette

  Paris in July 2024 During this month,  various activities like reading, watching, listening, observing, cooking, and indulging in all thin...