Aug 10, 2024

Wait: A Novel by Gabriella Burnham: Sunday Salon

 Book Review



Wait by Gabriella Burnham

Published May 21, 2024; One World, NetGalley

Genre; literary fiction, contemporary fiction, adult fiction, immigrants

I enjoyed this novel about two American born sisters - Elise, a recent college graduate and Sophie, a high school student, whose mother, illegally in the U.S., was deported back to Brazil after being arrested for long overstaying her work visa. The girls' father, a visitor to the U.S. himself, left the family to return to Ireland a long time ago when Sophie was two years old. 

How the sisters, half-Irish, half-Brazilian American citizens, manage alone on Nantucket Island, their home, while waiting for their mother to acquire a green card from Brazil is the crux of this novel, a story of one illegal immigrant and her children.

Heart warming as well as revealing, the book looks at the children, especially the older child Elise, who is more affected by the change in their family situation than her younger sister. The story of the girls living their own lives on their own in the U.S. while they wait, and their mother adjusting to her own life back in her country, Brazil, leaves the reader both joyful and a little sadder.

A wonderfully written and executed book on a timely and relevant topic.


Currently reading



See: Loss. See Also: Love,  a novel by Yukiko Tominaga
Published May 7, 2024; Scribner, NetGalley
Genre: adult contemporary fiction, literary fiction, Japanese fiction

Description: A debut novel following a Japanese widow raising her son between worlds with the help of her Jewish mother-in-law as she wrestles with grief, loss, and—strangest of all—joy. 

Shortly after her husband Levi’s untimely death, Kyoko decides to raise their young son, Alex, in San Francisco, rather than return to Japan. Her nosy yet loving Jewish mother-in-law, Bubbe, encourages her to find new love and abandon frugality but her own mother wants Kyoko to celebrate her now husbandless life. Always beside her is Alex, who lives confidently, no matter the circumstance.

Four sections of vignettes. 

I'm intrigued by the mixing of cultures, people, and family in a novel about love and loss.


The Olympics
 
I found myself getting involved in more games than I thought I'd like, watching fencing and archery, as well as diving, track, cycling, soccer, volleyball, table tennis, gymnastics and more.

Thanks to my son who subscribed so we could enjoy watching the games on tv!  Did you watch any of the games? 

One of my favorites - the final men's soccer match between France and Spain. Spain won a hard fought game. 


What are you reading/watching this week? 

Memes:  The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves

As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn a small commission on each purchase through my blog links. at no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support.


18 comments:

  1. They sound like emotional reads. We have been dipping in and out of the Olympics.
    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/10/stacking-the-shelves-72/

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had such a crazy busy summer that I haven't watched any television for weeks. Nice you've enjoyed watching the Olympics!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been enjoying the Olympics, especially sports that I'm less familiar with like trampoline and synchronized swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your books sound really good, especially See: Loss. I am always looking for books that help me understand loss and grief. My post today focuses on Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your books look tempting. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have watched some of the Olympics. My son enjoys watching gymnastics, and gives a loud enthusiastic "Whoa!!" every time they do some big move. Lol. I was surprised to see that breakdancing is included!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both Wait and See: Loss sound like books I'd like to read. Wait sounds like a story that is perfect for our time, a story that allows us to walk in the shoes of others. Sometimes walking in the shoes of others can lead to change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Presently reading 'King Solomon's Mines' by H Rider Haggard, but today (being non-fiction Sunday in my house) I'm reading 'Shadowlands - A Journey Through Lost Britain' by Matthew Green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have watched a ton of the sports for Olympics, also paying for a subscription so we could! I will miss it when it is over, but I imagine I will be a bit more productive, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got Peacock to watch the Olympics and have barely had time to watch any. I love the Olympics. Some years I have watched every single sport! It took awhile though.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. See: Loss. See Also: Love. sounds like it will be interesting. I love stories based in Japan. I hope you like it. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Wait" sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    My son Trip loves the Olympics. Well, he loves all sports, but he lives to watch the Olympics. For the last 2 weeks he's been getting up at 4am so he can watch his favorites. I caught a few here and there, but he's the devoted one. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both books sound really emotional but good! Happy to hear you're enjoying the Olympics! I haven't been watching. I don't have a subscription to anything that carries it right now. I see updates on the news, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both of these books sound interesting and timely.

    My husband and I love watching the Olympics but we only watch the primetime show. We get frustrated that NBC really only shows gymnastics, swimming, diving, and footraces. I would rather not see the semifinals for the races and swimming and see sports I don't know much about instead. Oh well. If it bothers me that much, I should subscribe to Peacock, right? Maybe next time.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both books sound interesting. I watched lots of the Olympics this year too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wait really does sound good. I hadn't heard of that one before, but will check it out. See: Loss. See Also: Love also sounds good. I hope you are enjoying it. We got into the Olympics more this year as well and I enjoyed catching events when I could. My husband got me hooked on the women's soccer and I enjoyed watching a few of the games. I also really enjoyed the gymnastics, track and field events, and skateboarding. I caught a few other events now and then as well. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved watching our women win gold in fencing! And I always love watching the archery. I thought sport climbing was really fun, too. And of course, the diving, gymnastics, swimming and track and field events. I'm sad the Olympics are over. I don't know what to watch now! ;D And that novel by Tominaga sounds like one I would really like. I want to read more Japanese fiction next year as one of my bookish goals, so I'm putting that one on my growing list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Olympics was awesome but I missed the soccer games, argh! I saw most of the swimming and track & field ... which kept me riveted. The women's cycling road race was great towards the end. Very exciting. As for the Wait novel ... waiting for one's mother on Nantucket Island would be a good place to wait. I'd wait there if given a choice.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, and Shanghai by Joseph Kanon, Historical Novel set in the late 1930s.

  The Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, December 17, 2024; Minotaur Books/NetGalley Genre: detective novel, Tokyo The body of Ryota Uetsuj...