Feb 19, 2010

Book Review: The Risk of Infidelity Index by Christopher G. Moore



The Risk of Infidelity Index: A Vincent Calvino Crime Novel by Christopher G. Moore

P.I. Calvino makes a surveillance video of an outfit manufacturing fake drugs in Bangkok, but the lawyer who hired him for the job dies from an apparent heart attack before paying Calvino for the video.

To find out more about his dead client, Calvino takes a job from three mem farangs, foreign women, whose husbands may know more about his client. The women hire Calvino to spy on their husbands for any signs of cheating. Bangkok has a high infidelity risk factor, according to a book the women have been reading, The Risk of Infidelity Index. Calvino wheedles information from the women about their husbands who knew his dead client, finds out who's behind the fake drug making scam, and finally gets paid for his work, all while risking his life many times over and barely escaping intact.

My favorite secondary characters in the novel are Colonel Pratt, a local police officer who helps keep Calvino alive, and Calvino's office assistant, Rachana. Both are staples in the suspenseful detective series.

Publisher's description: " Vincent Calvino, disbarred American lawyer turned Bangkok PI, comes to North America at long last with a gripping novel set in a superbly textured, masterfully rendered Bangkok." The ninth novel in the PI series, it's the first printed in the U.S.,Atlantic Monthly Press, 2007.

Recommendation: For those who like detective crime fiction in international settings. I rated this four out of five stars. I also gave 4 stars to the 11th Calvino book, Paying Back Jack.

Challenge: 100 + Reading Challenge, Support your Local Library ChallengeThriller & Suspense Reading Challenge

Member of Amazon Associates  Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

  1. I read crime fiction every now and again. This one sounds pretty good. But of course I will have to start at number 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got you on my RSS and look forward to your reviews. Do you care to follow me too on Friend Connect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title cracks me up. This does sound like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like crime fiction a lot. I'll check this one out.

    Stop by my place. I have an award for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had not heard of this book. Thanks for reviewing and linking it up. This is what I love about this party...I am finding all kinds of great books to read.

    Good job reviewing-
    CYM

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...