Apr 2, 2023

Sunday Salon: Modern Trope of Loss and Returning Home

 Returning home:

I 've been reading books about young women abandoning their job after a breakup with a boyfriend, and returning to their parents' home. This seems to be a popular trope as I've seen it in several  contemporary novels.

However, the stories vary widely once the main character moves back to family, depending on their circumstances and family dynamics. This makes them interesting regardless of the trope.



A Quitter's Paradise: A Novel by Elysha Chang
Publication: June 6, 2023' SJP Lit
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel deals with two generations of a family impacting each other - the story of Rita and Jing from Taipei, who emigrate to the U.S. and the stories of their daughters, Narisa and Eleanor, born and raised in New York.

The adult Eleanor, on her own, quits her PhD program in neuroscience; her older sister Narisa disappeared for good while a teen, after one too many fights with her harsh and disapproving parents. And only Eleanor and her mother Rita are left in the family after the father Jing leaves home and forms a new family in Taipei.

After Rita's death, Eleanor has to face the truth of both her parents' lives and her own.

I was left amazed and dismayed at the family dynamics in this novel, especially that created by the parents. I wondered how Eleanor would cope with the history of people leaving/quitting and with the story of her mother Rita, left alone to raise the girls in the U.S. when Jing left the family.

The novel follows two separate story lines, a complex one of the parents and their extended family in NY and that of the girls raised in the U.S. I found both stories fascinating.



Goodbye, Vitamin by Rachel Khong
Published:July 11, 2017; Henry Holt and Co.
Genre: literary fiction, contemporary, family drama, adult fiction

Ruth used to go to Charleston with her boyfriend Joel for the holidays, but no more. After they broke up, Ruth is left with the prospect of going home to her parents in LA, parents she hasn't seen in a while.

While there, Ruth decides to stay and help out as her father is developing dementia and losing coping skills. The novel centers around Ruth and their mother and her brother Linus's attempts to ease their father and themselves into a new reality. 

Written with a lot of humor and pathos, Goodbye, Vitamin tells a story of a family support of a loved one whose personality is slowly changing. I gave this novel five stars.


Sea Change
by Gina Chung

Publication: March 28, 2023, Vintage

Genre: family drama, speculative fiction, animal story, contemporary

The story of Ro's friendship with Dolores, the giant Pacific octopus, is a heartwarming one, especially since it's her only connection with her missing science father, who had discovered and captured the octopus which now resides in the local aquarium.

I was a little disappointed when the story veers away from Ro's father never returning and her boyfriend leaving, perhaps forever, on a space exploration trip to Mars.

The novel includes Ro's friends and other young Korean Americans and their lives in the U.S. Their stories don't mesh with the story of Dolores, the giant Pacific Northwest octopus and the sadness of Ro's missing father.

The information about the octopus, its personality and its importance to Ro are the key parts of the novel although at least half of the book is devoted to Ro's other friends. 

What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

38 comments:

  1. So many books repeat the same plots over and over again. I try to find some variety in what I read. The other plot that repeats is the one where someone goes to Paris (or another french town) and opens a bookstore (or maybe a cafe).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think I should go back to my favorite reads - mystery and thriller novels set in varous locations around the globe.

      Delete
  2. I have always been drawn to stories about family dynamics. Loss of a family member is compelling. How do people move on after experiencing loss? I also read a lot of stories about wanting to give up. What keeps people going when they want to stop? These are stories that intrigue me.

    Thank you for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that books dealing with family dynamics are interesting as well as important to understand how different people cope.

      Delete
  3. I've just started 'The Stone Mason - A History of Building Britain' by Andrew Ziminski. After that I'll be reading 'The Midnight Watch' by David Dyer which is about the Titanic disaster but from the view of the ship that *didn't* come to her aid...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to read interesting and relevant books on history.

      Delete
  4. When you plan your trip to this area of Michigan, keep in touch — maybe we could meet in person! I live in Ann Arbor.

    mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrillers, psychological thrillers, suspense and mystery is pretty much all I read. Every now and then I read another genre but not too often. Have a wonderful day 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I branched out into literary fiction and immigrant fiction, all of which tend to be very serious.

      Delete
  6. The thought of moving home after a break up stresses me out, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you're young and hopeless, going home may be the only option!

      Delete
  7. A Quitter's PAradise sounds fabulous and heartbreaking. And interesting about the chung book. I saw an interview with her (quite well done, I thought).

    http://www.clairefyblog.com/2023/03/nothing-is-ever-really-lost-deep-dive.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing so many positive reviews for Goodbye, Vitamin when it first came out, but I never got around to reading it. It still sounds appealing... glad to know it was a 5-star read for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been keeping an eye on Sea Change, but I have to admit that I'm a bit leery of reading it because Remarkably Bright Creatures was so good. How can lightning strike twice with a giant Pacific octopus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Remarkably Bright Creatures, but am now motivated to read it.

      Delete
  10. I've had Goodbye, Vitamin on my list since it was published. I think it's time to read it, especially since you gave it 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will find it a remarkable novel, Vicki.

      Delete
  11. I had kind of the same opinion as Kathy up above - Remarkably Bright Creatures is so good and what are the odds there would be another octopus story at the same time?? I'm currently most of the way through the very long The Winners by Fredrik Backman - the last in the Beartown trilogy. It does not disappoint! Hope you have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-43

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll read Remarkably Bright Creatures just to compare.

      Delete
  12. I feel like I end up reading blocks of one kind of genre or theme, one right after the other for some reason and I don't plan it. Nice that you enjoyed the books though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by certain genres these days

      Delete
  13. I just finished a book with this trope too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's common these days as it' s happening in real life.

      Delete
  14. Wow! Lots of interesting books this week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    And my Sunday Watch for movie and TV fans!

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Books do seem to recycle plots. I've been coming across a lot of haunted house books recently. I keep getting them confused because the plots sound so similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get scared easily so stay away from horror

      Delete
  16. I've noticed that trope but haven't been excited to read any of the books. It doesn't reflect my life or interests. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often pick up books to get another point of view and learn about a different life

      Delete
  17. Goodbye, Vitamin sounds like something I'd like. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a very popular trope, isn't it? And one I like to read...especially when there's humor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know I just read one recently with that back-home trope -- first in a cozy mystery series -- but definitely others, too, that I can't think of at the moment. Maybe giant Pacific octopuses (octopi?) are also a trope! I love novels of family dynamics, and that is a common tag for me when I'm cataloging my reading on LibraryThing. All three of these sound like good possibilities for me; I believe Goodbye Vitamin is already on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...