Apr 8, 2023

Sunday Salon: Holding Pattern by Jenny Xie; Days at the Morisaki Bookshop by Satoshi Yagisawa

 



Holding Pattern: A Novel
by Jenny Xie
Publication: June 20, 2023, Riverhead Books
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a novel about a Chinese immigrant family -  a mother-daughter and their relationship in the U.S. Rather than an immigrant child/adult having to cope with a demanding, self-sacrificing traditional parent, this is about a mother/parent who has broken the norm or stereotype and found a new way of independent living.

Kathleen disappointed her divorced mom Marissa after dropping out of her academic program in psychology and returning home to Oakland, Ca. But Kathleen finds a new mother on her return: Marissa has changed her outlook and lifestyle, becoming trendy and modern and engaged to a tech entrepreneur, Brian Lin.

The novel has two themes : Kathleen trying to find her own way with her interest in psychology and touch therapy, cuddle clinics, and her mother having a renewed interest in reviving her life. This novel surprised me as it deviates from the traditional daughter-mom pattern of Asian parent-child relationships.

I liked the new Marissa, the mom, who is still concerned about her undecided daughter and tries to help her back to a constructive future, but who is determined to live a satisfying life of her own.


Eric Ozawa (Translator)
Publication: July 4, 2023; Harper Perennial
Rating: 5/5 stars

A familiar trope is used at the beginning of this novel - a young woman's heart is broken in a failed relationship; she leaves her job and returns home to her family. 

The trope ends there as the story that unfolds is heart warming and positive and unique. There are new beginnings for the broken hearted Takako and new beginnings for her Uncle Satoru who takes her in, gives her a job and an upstairs apartment at his family bookstore.

I like that Takako becomes part of her uncle's life in more than one way, helping him with his old bookstore on a street filled with other bookshops. She interacts with Satoru's estranged wife who suddenly returns after five years' absence and helps the wife to heal from whatever has been ailing her psychologically. 

It's lovely that Takako herself finds friendship and affection, as well as family, in the small town, and even a new romantic interest. Her uncle's advice to her: Don't be afraid of someone "warming your heart" as long as you live is especially poignant.

What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

 

39 comments:

  1. Interesting reviews, with nice variety of place.

    best.. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your foray into Asian culture and immigrant stories. I'm inspired and almost always add at least one to me TBR. Thanks for the visit. Have a terrific week.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-44

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read some of them, Terrie!

      Delete
  3. These sound nice but I especially love the sound of the second one. I'm going to pick it up/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holding Pattern sounds like a much more thoughtful novel than the cover would lead you to believe. I like the idea of the mom who breaks away from the stereotype and helps the daughter find her way in the world.

    And, of course, I'm always drawn to a bookstore setting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm adding the Bookshop title to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 2/3 of the way through 'The Midnight Watch' by David Dyer and have just started 'The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt - Women Travellers and Their World' by Mary Russell today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books sound lovely.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  8. These both sound good. Great reviews! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Days at the Morisaki Bookshop is one I really want to read...even more so now after reading your review of it. Happy Easter! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. They are both interesting in different ways.

      Delete
  11. Oooh! Both of these books sound interesting!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    And my Sunday Watch for movie and TV fans!

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That second book sounds like my kind of read. Thanks for mentioning it!

    Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading Identity by Nora Roberts this week.
    Enjoy your reading!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  14. These both sound interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These both sound good, but I'm intrigued by the one breaking the stereotype -- I recognize that stereotype has unwittingly taken residence in my brain and I would love the chance to eject it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a chance to read Holding Pattern when it's out in June.

      Delete
  16. These both look good. I'm glad that you enjoyed them. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. woohoo, a new Japanese author to discover, and there's a giveaway on Goodreads! Thanks, sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh boy, I have trouble communicating with you. First Firefox won't let me go to your website. It says it is dangerous and blocked it. Next I tried, out of curiosity, if I could visit you on another search engine. I tried Microsoft Edge. It wouldn't even find my own blog (blogger is a google product. Sigh) and when I finally tricked it and made it go to my site, but it did allow me into your site. Now it won't let me login to reply by my name. So here I am, anonymous, but really I'm Anne @ Head Full of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne, for all the trouble. Good to know about firefox. I use Chrome and hope everyone can reach me on that browser.

      Delete
  19. I love stories revolving around bookstores! (Chrome - who knew!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so glad you liked this one. It's in my TBR pile and now I know to move it up!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...