Apr 15, 2023

Book Reviews: Afterparties, and The Rachel Incident

 Book Reviews



The Rachel Incident by Caroline O'Donoghue
Publication: June 22, 2023; Knopf
Genre: women's fiction, contemporary drama, romance, LBGTQ
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Rachel Incident, a novel about early twenty-somethings in Cork, Ireland gave me a look at the Irish Republic, its people, and its history regarding abortion rights and its fight for women's reproductive rights.

I also loved the story the novel tells of young Rachel and her love for two men, both named James, who play an important part in her life.

The feelings that Rachel has for both Jameses leads her into rocky relationships with her college lit teacher and his wife. All these people interact to make for a compelling story of love in many different manifestations.

Funny, heart warming, amazing characters lead us on a merry dance in this novel of manners, friendships, and some tragedy. The comedy and the drama and even damaging hypocrisy also makes this a thoughtfully unusual book.

 

Afterparties: Stories
 by Anthony Veasna So
Published August 3, 2021; Ecco
Genre: short stories, immigrant fiction, Cambodian fiction
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

These short stories describe the lives of young Cambodian Americans at home, school, work - their checquered lives, many on the lower income level, their families surviving as relatively recent immigrants and refugees from the Cambodian Civil War and the Khmer Rouge in the mid 1970s, a war called the Cambodian Genocide.

This war and their family history are still alive among these families, as they try to find their way in a new country, sometimes worried about the past finding its way into their present and future. The stories are set in a community in California.

Many of them are heart breaking as the children carry the scars of the past and continue to feel the effects of the sufferings of their parents and families during what they refer to as the Genocide in Cambodia. Adapting to a new country is an added complication for the families and their children growing up American.

I found the stories revealing and necessary for us to understand what some immigrant families face and carry with them in their new country and new home.


What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

42 comments:

  1. Hope everyone can comment and see my blog! I fiddled with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Harvee,
    I don’t know if this will go through.
    best, mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mae. It came through. Happy spring!

      Delete
  3. I love stories about Ireland. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both sound excellent but I'm especially intersted in that second one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, two five-star books in a row, impressive!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's my kind of week. I love it when I read two exceptionally wonderful books in one week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over several weeks is more like it. I finished the book quickly but read the short stories in spurts.

      Delete
  7. I love anythig related to Ireland, my mom's family is from there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about 2/3 of the way through 'Amistad' by David Pesci, I'll be starting 'American Slavery - A Very Short Introduction' by Heather Andrea Williams tomorrow and then will (probably) be reading 'Future Crimes - Mysteries and Detection Through Time and Space' edited by Mike Ashley most of next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with your books.

      Delete
    2. I have what I call a 'butterfly mind' which means I'm interested (at least for a while) in *almost* everything... So, LOTS of variety..... [grin]

      Delete
  9. They both sound really good. The Rachel Incident sounds especially good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two five-star reads - wow! Those almost never happen in my experience and to get two in a row is truly amazing. I'm particularly interested in "The Rachel Incident" and am adding it to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't remember the last time I read two 5-star books back to back. AND they both sound really amazing. I'm off to check out the first one..... Hope your next couple books are equally good.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-45

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to choose books based on how good I think they'll be, so I am not so disappointed on my reads.

      Delete
  12. Two five-star reads - what a week!! The Rachel Incident sounds especially good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...two 5-star read this week. Yay! The second appeals to me most because of the Cambodia connection; I traveled to Cambodia several years ago and just fell in love with the people and their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you enjoyed these books!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Please join the Book Photo Sundays and Cover Spotlight

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have had my eye on The Rachel Incident. It sounds like it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out about the book from other bloggers too.

      Delete
  16. The Rachel Incident looks great.
    Have a nice reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The covers don't show for me but how great you had two 5 star reads!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both books look good. They are both new to me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you had a great reading week. The Rachel Incident sounds thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the soft background of your blog. Nice to have two 5 star reads. Afterparties sounds interesting. I hope you have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing short stories re the Cambodian community in LA

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...