Apr 28, 2011

Book Review: Mothers and Daughters, a Novel by Rae Meadows


Mothers and Daughters: A Novel by Rae Meadows

"When a box of Iris's belongings arrives on Sam's doorstep, she discovers things about her mother she never knew - or could even guess...
But she is puzzled by much of what she finds. She learns that Violet, the woman she knows as her grandmother, left New York City as an eleven-year-old girl and found a better life in the  Midwest. But what was the real reason behind Violet's journey? And how could she have come that far on her own at such a tender age?"
Book description: Mothers and Daughters is a luminous novel about three generations of women, the love they share, the dreams they refuse to surrender, and the secrets they hold.

Comments: I enjoy reading books that explore the relationships between mothers and daughters. This one is especially interesting because of the secrets discovered by Samantha about her mother Violet and her grandmother Iris. Uncovering history and the thread that connect three generations of women is the theme of the story.
The ARC I received from the publisher has an added bonus - an audio CD of the novel read by Maggi-Meg Reed.

Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.; First Edition edition (March 29, 2011)
Source: ARC from publisher
Genre: women's fiction

Author: Rae Meadows is author of Calling Out, which received the 2006 Utah Book Award for fiction and No One Tells Everything, a Poets & Writers Notable Novel. She lives in Minneapolis, Minn. Visit her website at http://www.raemeadows.com/

12 comments:

  1. Family stories - always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stories of mothers and daughters. I have this one on my shelf and hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been seeing lots about this book...I am adding it to my TBR list! Thanks for sharing.

    Best,
    Molly@Reviewsbymolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love family stories. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received a copy of this one too but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Mom and daughter stories too and I have a copy of this one so I'm sure that I'll enjoy it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to get to my copy of this one soon. Glad u liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mother Daughter relationships can be so complicated which I why I think they make for such good stories. With Mother's Day coming up, I will have to take a look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good review. Made me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have an ARC of this book and never looked at it closely. I didn't realize it has the audio book in the back. Maggi-Meg Reed is one of my all time favorite narrators. I'm so excited now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am hearing good things about this novel -- thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...