Oct 11, 2011

Book Review: A Rather Remarkable Homecoming by C.A. Belmond

Teaser Tuesdays asks you to choose sentences at random from your current read. Identify the author and title for readers.


"Well, according to the locals, there have been a few sightings of a Woman in White trailing her seaweed-covered wedding gown and veil as she searches for her betrothed along the shores of the sea, like a bride looking for her beloved.'"

"You mean a ghost?" I exclaimed, feeling goose-bumps as I pictured it. Jeremy nodded. (ch. 26)


Title: A Rather Remarkable Homecoming: a Novel by C.A. Belmond
Publisher: NAL Trade; 1 edition (September 6, 2011)
Objective rating: 4.5/5

Comments: A delightful romp through Cornwall and the Cornish coast, through the island of Madeira, and through London. Penny and Jeremy are newlyweds who grew up in Cornwall. They are summoned back to Cornwall to Penny's grandmother Beryl's house, which they must save from being razed by a developer. They try to prove the house is an historic landmark by doing their best to verify a rumor that Shakespeare one stayed there as a member of The Earl's Players. What they eventually uncover is an even bigger surprise.

The two find clues that lead them from Cornwall, back and forth to London, and to Madeira. Celtic legends and rumors of a ghostly lady play a part in the mystery of the house on the Cornish coast. I loved that it's a mystery without murder, as all the characters escape that fate.

I liked the armchair travel experience, the very likable characters in the novel, including the elderly actors in an actor's retirement home in Cornwall, and the excellent writing and storytelling.

A copy of this book was sent to me by New American Library, Penguin Group (USA).

12 comments:

  1. I think it's actually been a while since I've read a mystery with no murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very interesting.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/teaser-tuesday_11.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I like it! Now I want to know more. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review has made me want to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful teaser! I'm adding this one to my (already impossibly long) TBR list. Sounds like something I'd love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The British Coast and a ghost, sounds like a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a perfect fall treat! enjoy - like that teaser a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really quite fun and delightfully appropriate to the season. I have an impossibly long to-read list too, but plan to add it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a fun read. Madiera is quite beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...