Oct 29, 2011

Sunday Salon: 1Q84

The Sunday Salon.comWelcome to the Sunday Salon. Click on the logo to join in.

Thanks to Dewey's 24-Hour Read-a-Thon, I reviewed more books in the past seven days than I normally do. It was a good feeling to get six books down, about three more than I usually do.

I posted comments on three books: Success Secrets of Sherlock Holmes by David Accord; Dreaming in Chinese by Deborah Fallows, and The Guilded Shroud  by Elizabeth Bailey. I also reviewed:
The Last Blind Date by Linda Yellin, a memoir
The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones, a novel
The Economics of Ego Surplus by Paul McDonnold, a crime thriller

I  hope to get through a brand new book - Haruki Murakami's long awaited new novel, 1Q84, which I 'm reading on Kindle since the hardcover book is so thick and heavy! It's almost 1,000 pages long, but worth the read, I've heard. Here's a very concise book description from an article by the Associated Press entitled Murakami's '1Q84' offers clues to literature's future: Two story lines converge gracefully, one of them in an alternate reality. Fantasy lovers and literature lovers alike might enjoy this.

Everything's on hold while I read 1Q84, except for a Nov. 14 book tour for The Personal History of Rachel Dupree, a novel about African American homesteaders in the early 1900s.

Update: I've just signed up for a Murakami challenge to read at least one of his books in 2011, and 1Q84 is it! For more information, visit Haruki Murakami Reading Challenge

What have you been reading and what are you planning to read this week?

13 comments:

  1. I want to read 1Q84 sometime soon, but there's a very long hold list for it at the library. I'll just have to wait and see when it comes in and cross my fingers that I have the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why 1Q84 is the perfect book to read on your Kindle :)

    Murakami is an author I have wanted to try, but I don't think I can commit to this lengthy a read right now.

    Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to wait and see what others think of 1Q84 before I decide to buy it. I have loved Murakami in the past, but will I love 1,000 pages of Murakami?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard about this - thanks for posting - not sure if I could tackle 1,000 pages though.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had the best luck with Murakami, but this is a book that I am really interested in and want to read. Hope that you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author, yet, but 1Q84 looks like a good place to begin.

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this one is a wonderful read for you!! Ti is reading this one too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1,000 pages? That's daunting...but the book sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on such a productive read-a-thon! I've been seeing buzz about 1Q84, but the size has been putting me off. Maybe I'll wait for the Cliffs Notes version! *L*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to your take on Murakami!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything's on hold for me, too, as I flick the pages of 1Q84 on my nook. We're smart to have it on an e-reader, aren't we? Otherwise, we could dress up as muscle men for Halloween after hefting that volume around! I do love it though, and am taking my time with it...hopefully, when we are all finished we can have a heck of a chat about it. I suspect there will be lots to talk about! Already, I have a few suspicions about the characters, but we'll talk later. :) Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm reading IQ84 now as well. I have a few novellas I'm intending to read on the weekends just for a break.

    So far though (about 150 pages in) it's very good.

    http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...