Feb 2, 2013

Book Review: Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley


Title: Speaking from Among the Bones: a Flavia de Luce Novel by Alan Bradley
Published January 29, 2013; Delacorte Press hardcover
Genre: mystery
Source: library
The face of a carved wooden imp grinned at me saucily in the shadows. I touched his puffed-out polished cheeks and gave them a twist.
There was a click and the panel slid open.
I stepped carefully inside.
(ch. 13)
Flavia de Luce, the young chemist and amateur sleuth, turns age 12 and begins to be taken more seriously by her older sisters, who used to tease her horribly, telling her she was adopted or a foundling. Her distracted father tells her that she is a "genius" like her mother, who died years ago in a mountaineering accident in the Himalayas.

Flavia, traveling around on a rickety bicycle she named Gladys, goes on to solve the murder of an organist at their church in the English village of Bishop's Lacy, and in so doing, unearths a mystery surrounding the local saint, St. Tancred, who may be an early ancestor of her family, the de Luces.

I liked this book as much as the first in the series, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, which won the author the Crime Writers' Association Debut Dagger Award, the Agatha Award, the Barry Award, the Dilys Award, the Arthur Ellis Award, the Macavity Award, and the Spotted Owl Award.


4 comments:

  1. I tried listening to this series on audio and it wasn't working for me. It sounds like a great series, but I need to actually read it and not listen to it. Not all books are made for audios. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yvonne, if the voice of Flavia is not right, that could ruin the book. Hope you get a chance to try the paper books themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read The Sweetness at the Bottom of Pie, I think I would like both of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the first one so if you enjoyed it just as much then I need to read #4 and then this one!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...