Jan 7, 2014

A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint

 First Chapter, First Paragraph is a weekly meme hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea.

First chapter, first paragraph:
The accused, Chelsea Liew, was in court. She sat on a wooden bench in a wooden box, handcuffed to a police woman. 
The prosecutor, a large, shiny Malay man, marking time until his own elevation to the Bench, watched the court official read out the charge in a slow, ponderous voice, “That you, Chelsea Liew, on or about the eighteenth day of July, committed murder by causing the death of Alan Lee.”  
The judge said, “How does the accused plead? Guilty or not guilty?” (Shamini Flint,  A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder ).
Title:  A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder by Shamini Flint
Published January 1, 2009
Genre: murder mystery

Book description: Inspector Singh is in a bad mood. He's been sent from his home in Singapore to Kuala Lumpur to solve a murder that has him stumped. Chelsea Liew - the famous Singaporean model - is on death row for the murder of her ex-husband. She swears she didn't do it, he thinks she didn't do it, but no matter how hard he tries to get to the bottom of things, he still arrives back at the same place - that Chelsea's husband was shot at point blank range, and that Chelsea had the best motivation to pull the trigger: he was taking her kids away from her.

Now Inspector Singh must pull out all the stops to crack a crime that could potentially free a beautiful and innocent woman and reunite a mother with her children. There's just one problem - the Malaysian police refuse to play ball. (publisher)

Based on the opening and the book description, would you keep reading?

8 comments:

  1. I will start this in a day or two. After reading 6 books in 6 days, I am taking it easy today. Infact I downloaded a lot of free poetry books. If you want I will send those to you. Do email me!

    Here is my intro post and it is from the 6th one of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another mystery! Who can get enough? I must add these to my ever-growing TBR list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspector Singh seems to be a popular character and interesting. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I love a good mystery, and I haven't yet read this series. Enjoy! Here's MY TUESDAY POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice start on this one. Hope you enjoy it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good mystery. It's a new series for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first paragraph and description sounds fun. It seems like this one may exude a sense of humor and not take itself too seriously. I think that I would keep reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...