Apr 18, 2014

Book Beginning: Dear Lucy by Julie Sarkissian

Friday 56 Rules: *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader  *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you. *Post it. *Add your (url) post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also Book Beginnings by Rose City Reader.
Dear Lucy
Title: Dear Lucy: A Novel by Julie Sarkissian
Publication date: April 22, 2014; Simon and Schuster

Book beginning:
Everyone is asleep but me.
I look quick in every room to see that nobody is missing and nobody is. That is good because if someone is missing I have to leave to go find them and then who would get the eggs? Because they have never known a girl who was as gentle with the eggs. 
Page 56:
But the moon is winking and winking and I try to keep my legs heavy but they float up like fog above the river and carry me above the floor and out down the stairs and into the coop.
Book description:
Deserted by her vivacious, social-climbing mother, Lucy has been taken in by an older couple, known only as Mister and Missus, to work on their farm. There, she befriends a pregnant teenager named Samantha who tells conflicting stories about her past, but who finds an unlikely rapport with Lucy.
When Samantha gives birth and the baby disappears, Lucy arms herself with Samantha's diary--and a talking chicken named Jennifer--and embarks on a journey to reunite mother and child. A story of love, family, and loyalty. (goodreads)

What do you think? Is this a book you'd read based on the excerpts and description? Lucy sounds like an unlikely and unusual main character.

11 comments:

  1. I was not expecting the talking chicken! I quite like the writing style in both the BB and F56 and both make me want to read on. I wonder what happened to poor Samantha's baby! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first chapter of my copy, and I can't tell you how moved I was. Even something that would seem totally ridiculous, like the chicken who wanted a kiss from inside the shell, was so very tender somehow. I'm looking forward to reading this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the quoted lines. The writing seems to be wistful yet mysterious. I would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds very odd, but also very beautiful. I'm intrigued. Thank you for sharing.

    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like unusual characters, and I have added this one to my list. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very unusual. I like the book description. Happy Reading!!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the (sensitive) voice of this book already! I hope this book continues to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know. It sounded good until I got tot he talking chicken part. I'm not good with magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the beginning but am slightly baffled by the 56.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, a baby dissapears??? count me in to read this one.
    Great pick
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this beginning.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...