Jul 21, 2014

It's Monday: What Are You Reading?

Visit It's Monday: What Are You Reading hosted by Book Journey, and Mailbox Monday each week to see what's new on readers' bookshelves.


My mailbox has been full these past two weeks, with books for tours and books and ARCs that I want to get to this summer!
Gutenberg's Apprentice
An enthralling literary debut that evokes one of the most momentous events in history, the birth of printing in medieval Germany—a story of invention, intrigue, and betrayal, rich in atmosphere and historical detail, told through the lives of the three men who made it possible. To be published September 23, 2014 by Harper.
Victus: The Fall of Barcelona
Historical epic, set in early eighteenth-century Spain, about a military mastermind whose betrayal ultimately leads to the conquest of Barcelona, from the globally popular Catalonian writer Albert Sánchez Piñol. A sweeping tale of heroism, treason, war, love, pride, and regret that culminates in the tragic fall of a legendary city, illustrated with battle diagrams, portraits of political figures, and priceless maps of the old city of Barcelona.
A Man Called Ove
A quirky debut novel from Sweden, a grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.
The House We Grew Up In
Meet the Bird family. They live in a honey-colored house in a picture-perfect Cotswolds village, with rambling, unkempt gardens stretching beyond....Then one Easter weekend, tragedy comes to call. Years pass as the children become adults, find new relationships, and develop their own separate lives. But then something happens that calls them back to the house they grew up in -- and to what really happened that Easter weekend so many years ago.
The Stone Wife
At a Bath auction house, a large slab of carved stone is up for sale, but  three masked robbers shoot and kill the highest bidder, a professor who has recognized the female figure carved in the stone as Chaucer’s Wife of Bath. The masked would-be thieves flee, leaving the stone behind.  Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond and his team are assigned to investigate, and the stone is moved into Diamond’s office so he can research its origins. The carving causes such difficulties that he starts to think it has jinxed him. 
The Butcher
Matt, a young up-and-coming chef and restaurateur in Seattle, stumbles upon a locked crate he’s never seen before. Curious, he picks the padlock and makes a discovery so gruesome it will forever haunt him… Faced with this deep dark family secret, Matt must decide whether to keep what he knows buried in the past, go to the police, or take matters into his own hands. A high-octane novel about lethal secrets that refuse to die. 
Lords of the Sky
Retired USAF F-16 legend Dan Hampton offers the first comprehensive popular history of combat aviation—an action-packed look at the aces of the air and their machines, from the Red Baron and his triplane in World War I to today’s technologically expert flying warriors in supersonic jets.
Get Carter
Set in the late 1960s amidst the smokestacks and hardcases of the industrial north of England, Get Carter redefined British crime fiction and cinema alike. Jack Carter returns home to the mill town of Scunthorpe to investigate his brother's death. Adapted into the film starring Michael Caine, Get Carter—originally published as Jack’s Return Home. Along with the other two novels in the Jack Carter Trilogy, it is one of the most important crime novels of all time. (goodreads)
Maisie Dobbs The 10th Anniversary Edition with a special Afterword by the author. Maisie Dobbs got her start as a maid when she was thirteen. Her employer, suffragette Lady Rowan Compton, took her under her wing. Maisie trained as a nurse, then left for France to serve at the Front during WWI. Ten years after the Armistice, in 1929, Maisie sets out on her own as a private investigator, one who has learned that coincidences are meaningful, and truth elusive. Her very first case involves suspected infidelity but reveals something very different.
Which of these novels - historical, contemporary, mystery, or nonfiction would you start reading first?

24 comments:

  1. I've already read the Maisie Dobbs and would highly recommend it. But then I'd find The House We Grew Up In.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These really look like a great bunch of books.

    "The House We Grew Up In" looks intriguing but perhaps a little disturbing.


    I love the "The Canterbury Tales" connection in "The Stone Wife"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got A Man Called Ove from netgalley and am anxious to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice list of books this week. Victus: The Fall of Barcelona sounds good. Is it a translation?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, great looking books! I have my eye on The House We Grew Up In.

    Enjoy them all, and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serena, it's a translated book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, great books! I have a Maisie Dobbs book on my Nook and have been meaning to get to it.
    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why is everyone reading Ove except me?! It really isn't fair! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great books! I forgot to add the books from netgalley to my post! I have A Man Called Ove too! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't know where to start. They all look so good.

    I think The House We Grew Up In would probably be my first choice, though.

    I would then go with The Butcher. :)

    Thanks for sharing, and have a great week.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Butcher sounds very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great mailbox, I just added three of these to my reading list. Thanks!

    2 Kids and Tired Books MM

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great books! I would go for Gutenberg's Apprentice, The Butcher, The House We Grew Up In, The Stone Wife. I love Peter Lovesay. The Stone Wife should be interesting since I read a book about Alice Perrers recently who is supposed to have been the inspiration for the Bath Wife.
    Lisbeth@The Content Reader

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Harvee,

    What a fantastic haul you have had recently. Despite my reslove to curtail my reading list additions, you have a few here which simply can't be ignored!

    Loads of my friends have recommended Jacqueline Winspear to me, so I have finally got around to checking her out.

    As we used to live in The Cotswolds, 'The House We Grew Up In' has to be headed for my list.

    As I now live less than 10 miles from Bath, the Peter Lovesey, is also going to be a must read.

    Thanks for sharing such an excellent selection and have fun reading them all,

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many great looking books! The Butcher is one that caught my eye. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, I want to read your first one for sure! I went to add it to my Goodreads TBR, and realized there's a giveaway with 50 copies, hopefully I'll receive 1 of them. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen A Man Called Ove in a few different places this week. It sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like the mix of genres. Always makes for an interesting week.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would probably go with Maisie Dobbs, only because I've heard so many good things about them. I really need to read those soon! Several of those looks good though really...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adored A Man Called Ove, it made me laughter, and cry.

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've got A Man Called Ove on my TBR stack, hope to get to it next week. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A Man Called Ove is on it's way to my mailbox :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, lots of good choices here. I got A Man Called Ove last week - it does look quirky. The House We Grew Up In sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I actually just read my first Jacqueline Winspear book and loved it! I haven't read Maisie Dobbs yet though, but do own a copy, so hopefully that time comes soon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...