Jul 22, 2014

The House on Mermaid Point by Wendy Wax

First Chapter, First Paragraph is a weekly meme hosted by Bibliophile by the Sea.
Teaser Tuesday is hosted by Miz B; choose two teaser sentences from your current read.
The House on Mermaid Point
The House on Mermaid Point by Wendy Wax
Published July 1, 2014; Berkley Trade
Genre: contemporary fiction
First chapter, first paragraph:
Although she hadn't exactly planned it, Madeline Singer had recently achieved two things that surprised her: a senior citizen discount; and the legal right to date.
Teaser sentences:
Yelling at Madeline Singer was even worse than kicking a puppy, and Will regretted it almost as soon as possibly even before, he'd started doing it. (ch. 25)
"Is so bea-u-ti-ful out here."  Avery's head had dropped back and she was peering up into the sky.
"It is," Maddie nodded her agreement.
(ch. 29)
My comments:  Wendy Wax has written a love story/stories set in the Florida Keys and on a fictional private island, Mermaid Point. The novel seems to be a paean to the sea, the land, the skies, the place. I've been to the Keys and loved it. Wax revels in it! I haven't read her two earlier Florida books but am curious about the previous adventures of the trio in these beach novels - Madeline, Avery, and Nicole.

Book description from goodreads:
"In this new novel from the author of Ten Beach Road and Ocean Beach, three unlikely friends who were thrown together by disaster get a do-over on life, love, and happiness . . . Maddie, Avery, and Nikki first got to know one another while  restoring a beachfront mansion to its former grandeur. But their latest project has presented some challenges they couldn’t have dreamed up in their wildest fantasies—although the house does belong to a man who actually was Maddie’s wildest fantasy once . . ."

A good beach read, in all ways, especially if you can't make it down to the Keys!  
Thanks to the publisher for a review copy 

Other reviews of the book:

Pudgy Penguin Perusals
Always with a Book

13 comments:

  1. As a beach lover, this sounds like me kind of read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy the scenery! it sounds like a fun read.
    Mine's here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read and loved all of the books in this series...enjoy!

    I have this one on Sparky...and can't wait to dive in.

    Here's mine: “ KATWALK”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the opening paragraph and the teasers. The cover art is great too. I'd keep reading. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting. I would read on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the intro and teaser and would keep reading.

    I've heard great things about Wendy Wax and her books, but haven't read anything by her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure this one's for me, but I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good. I want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cover - good intro too. Makes me want to read more. enjoy and thanks for joining us this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like the perfect beach read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep meaning to pick the first in this series up. Seems like a perfect vacation read.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...