Mar 24, 2015

First Chapter: The Cartoon Guide to Algebra by Larry Gonick

First Chapter, First Paragraph is hosted weekly by Bibliophile by the Sea. Share the first paragraph of your current read. Also visit Teaser Tuesdays meme hosted by Jenn.


.
Published January 20, 2015; William Morrow
Genre: comic, textbook

First paragraph:
Chapter 0: What Is Algebra About?
Before algebra, we learn how to combine numbers by adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing according to the rules of arithmetic. To go in this book, you must know arithmetic.
Cartoon: Piece of Cake
If algebra is about combining numbers, then what is algebra about? To answer this question, begin with some ordinary arithmetic problems.......(cartoon) and rewrite those problems horizontally, along a line. 
To me, this book is ideal for adults wanting to teach their youngsters or for adults like myself needing to learn or freshen up algebra skills. Children who don't already know some algebra might need a bit of help through the cartoons, but it will certainly keep their interest.

What do you think? Would you keep going to tease your memory?

Thanks to the publisher for a review/feature copy of this book.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I pick it up every now and then and learn things I didn't know - a modern version of algebra.

      Delete
  2. Where was this book when I was in junior high?? Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed this one desperately at that time, too!

      Delete
  3. It does sound like a more fun way to learn algebra, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing...and here's mine: “SUMMER SECRETS”

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fun way to learn!

    Mine: https://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/teaser-tuesday-the-hero-with-a-thousand-faces/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun book! Might be good for me when my daughter gets into algebra at school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll keep this in mind as a resource for my granddaughter. I enjoyed algebra and could "see" the solutions to the equations. Yep, I'm a nerd!
    My Tuesday post features DEVIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This algebra book looks wonderful. How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Math was my weak link, could have used this years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously though, everyone, it's a good way to sharpen up those math skills, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...