Oct 7, 2017

Sunday Salon: Historical Novels and a Review

A new arrival this week, thanks to River Books Press is The Stairway Guide's Daughter by John Burgess, published September 25, 2017. The book is an historical novel set in the Angkor civilization of 12th century Cambodia. 

Description: "...a young woman called Jorani earns her living guiding pilgrims up a two thousand-step stairway to the magnificent cliff-top temple, Preah Vihear. One day, she accidentally witnesses the furtive burning of sacred palm-leaf documents, and is drawn into a succession struggle at the temple. She is forced to choose between loyalty to family and to the son of the abbot, with whom she forms an unlikely bond."

Another book I was excited about is by the new Nobel Prize winner in Literature this year, Kazuo Ishiguro.
I found my 2007 Goodreads review of When We Were OrphansI reread it recently and got a few more ideas. Here is the original review:

"A book I have wanted to look at again. Set in the 1930s, it's about a young English detective with a faulty memory who returns to wartime Shanghai in 1937 to find his parents who had disappeared there years ago when he was about nine years old. As he is an unreliable narrator, readers have to figure out the puzzle of his past and become detectives themselves to decide what is fact and what is fiction. Christopher meets a Japanese soldier in Shanghai who may or may not be his playmate from years ago, before the war. How Christopher reacts or doesn't react to him and how he ignores his surroundings in Shanghai during the Japanese invasion is part of his strange, delusional persona. This book intrigued me so much, I want to try again to get the hard facts of Christopher's journey, which may not be possible, given his inaccurate memory.

Ishiguro, born in Nagasaki, Japan and now living in London, is also author of The Remains of the Day, a Booker Prize-winning novel made into the award winning film with Anthony Hopkins."

I'll just add now that on reading it again the past two days, I found the narrator Christopher to be a kind of English/European version of the Ugly American, representing the tunnel vision that ignored the reality of what was going on in Shanghai before and during WWII.

If anyone has read  When We Were Orphans, I would love to discuss it and get your ideas here.

What have you been reading this week?
Visit The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also visit It's Monday, What Are You Reading? hosted by Book Date Also visit Mailbox Monday..

22 comments:

  1. These both look very tempting. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any of Kazuo Ishiguro's work yet, but would like to. When We Were Orphans sounds intriguing. Thank you for posting your review from Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might start with the movies made of his two books, Remains of the Day, and Never Let Me Go!

      Delete
  3. I've read The Remains of the Day, but now I want to read more of Ishiguro. It is surprising to me that I know this author; so many Nobel Prize winning authors are unknown to me.

    Here's my post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His movies of Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go have put him into the international spotlight!

      Delete
  4. I've read Never Let Me Go and look forward to reading some of his other work now. I have The Buried Giant on hold at the library. Have you read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I have the ebook from the library waiting for me. It's a long book, so....

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I found a copy of When We Were Orphans and a copy of The Remains of the Day on my bookshelf, so I'm going to start with those.

      Delete
  5. I did read the Ishiguro book and found it distracting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hd to read it three times to understand it better. Ishiguro says this book gave him the most trouble to write.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Ishiguro but I loved the movie version of The Remains of the Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have his latest book, a thick one, on my kindle, to tackle!

      Delete
  7. I've always been kind of intimidated to try Ishiguro but should probably give it a go now that he's won a Nobel Prize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the ones you choose. You might try the films first, the ones made of his books - Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go.

      Delete
  8. These books are both new to me and nothing that I would generally choose to read. I like my books lighter. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might prefer the films of his books, Kathy, in particular Remains of the Day.

      Delete
  9. I didn't love Remains of the Day so I never read his other books or even saw the movies! I should really give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dystopian novel and film, Never Let Me Go, was really popular, especially among millennials.

      Delete
  10. Both of these sound intriguing. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next on the list to read is Ishiguro's The Buried Giant!

      Delete
  11. WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is catching my eye.

    ENJOY your week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...