May 3, 2019

The Lonesome Bodybuilder by Yukiko Motoya: Book Beginning

Memes: The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader
From the library:
The Lonesome Bodybuilder: Stories
The Lonesome Body Builder

The Lonesome Body Builder by Yukiko Motoya, November 6, 2018, Soft Skull Press
Genre: short stories, in translation

Book beginning:
The Lonesome Bodybuilder (story)
When I got home from the supermarket, my husband was watching a boxing match on TV. 
"I didn't know you watched this kind of thing. I never would have guessed, " I said, putting down the bag of groceries on the living room table. He made a noncommittal noise from the sofa, He seemed to be really engrossed.  
"Who's winning? The big one or the little one?"
Theme of the story: What does it take for an introverted husband to finally take notice of his wife?  She goes on to become a body builder.....

Page 56:
(from the story, An Exotic Marriage)
I felt a lingering guilt about how easy I had it. Owning a home at this age, I felt as if I had somehow managed to cheat at life.

I am finding these to be thought-provoking and very unusual stories. Use of magical realism. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are enjoying the book. I'm not a big fan of short stories. This week I am spotlighting Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like short stories so I might like this one. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvee, thank you for posting these snippets. This collection of short fiction sounds very appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...