May 21, 2021

Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan: Book Beginning

 


Exciting Times by Naoise Dolan, June 2, 2020, Ecco

Genre: contemporary fiction, romance 

Setting: Hong Kong

An intimate, bracingly intelligent debut novel about a millennial Irish expat who becomes entangled in a love triangle with a male banker and a female lawyer (publisher)

Book beginning:

My banker friend Julian first took me for lunch in July, the month I arrived in Hong Kong. I'd forgotten which exit of the station we were meeting at, but he called saying he saw me outside Kee Wah Bakery and to wait there. It was humid. Briefcase-bearers clopped out of turnstiles like breeding jennets. The Tannoy blared out first Cantonese, then Mandarin, and finally a British woman saying please mind the gap. 

Page 56:

You were ironical with him, also with yourself. It was wild. 

Would you read on?

The Friday 56. Grab a book, turn to page 56 or 56% of your eReader. Find any sentence that grabs you. Post it, and add your URL post in Linky at Freda's Voice.
Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

7 comments:

  1. Now I am curious, and I'm intrigued by that cover. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE BREAK-UP BOOK CLUB”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm interesting to be sure!

    My Friday56 - https://www.thebutterflyreader.com/2021/05/the-friday56-duke-and-i.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of it and the opening pulls my right in. I have a pet peeve about the slightly archaic "ironical" so the teaser puts me off. But I can let it go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confused and intrigued by the 56! Happy Memorial day weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one doesn't interest me. I agree with two of the comments. I think the cover is different. I can't believe my own opinion. I always love whatever Book, Bird, Dog chooses. What a strange Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love unusual settings and in this time of no travel, everything is interesting. I'll like to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo! I really like the sound of this one. Exciting Times, indeed! I want to know more about Ada, Edith and Julian and see how everything plays out for them. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...