May 29, 2021

Sunday Salon: Singapore, India, and Southern Italy

 My latest books have come from the library, which is welcoming patrons into the building once again. This means I'm ignoring my ereader, for the time being, and going with paper books!


Last Tang Standing by Lauren Ho, published June 9, 2020, Putnam

Genre: contemporary women's fiction, romance

My goodreads review:

Refreshing take on career, romance and marriage, pulling the main character in two directions at once. Andrea Tang is a successful corporate lawyer in Singapore, working overtime to achieve her goal of making partner in the firm.

However, her relatives, in particular her mother, are after her to find a husband and to provide grandchildren. How Andrea manages these two conflicting, for her,  goals are the main theme. The novel is written with humor and interesting insights into  women and careers, especially among the well-to-do in Singapore. Last Tang Standing was fun to read and more than a great beach read.

Recently arrived in the mail: 


The Bombay Prince by Sujata Massey, June 1, 2021, courtesy of Soho Crime

Genre: historical mystery set in India, 1920s

Description: India’s only female lawyer, Perveen Mistry, is compelled to bring justice to the family of a murdered female Parsi student just as Bombay’s streets erupt in riots to protest British colonial rule



The Measure of Time by Gianrico Carofiglio, April 8, 2021, from Bitter Lemon Press
Genre
: legal thriller set in Southern Italy

Description: The setting is Bari in Southern Italy. Defense attorney Guido Guerrieri takes on an appeal against what looks like an unassailable murder conviction. The alleged perpetrator is the son of a former lover. A taut legal thriller and a meditation on the ravages of time.

What are you reading this week? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday Salon

10 comments:

  1. The Bombay Princess sounds lovely! Glad you got a library haul. Nothing like the feeling of a real book in your hands.

    Hope you will have a good week!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to be able to go inside my library again and to be able to look for real books myself. We've had curbside for months and that was great, too, but I have missed being in the library.

    The Bombay Prince and Last Tang Standing both sound good to me. I hope you enjoy them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our library is open like our previous normal as well and next month our book group will meet there as well. (I kinda liked curbside which I now miss LOL) I love the settings of all the books you've recently read. Th Bombay Prince seems very good. Happy Reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see libraries opening again. I love the look of the Bombay Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My library has gone back to normal hours as of mid-May before that there were a few hours each week that people could come in to browse. I requested Bombay Prince from Netgalley but it is still pending. Check out my books at a

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ll be reading Bombay Princess soon too. I like the sound of Last Tung Standing

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bombay Princess looks good. I'm glad libraries are opening again. Although I'm totally an e-reader now, but I do borrow ebooks from my library. I still love libraries.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of your books look interesting. I wonder what place is your favorite location at this time. Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work at a public library that has been open to the public since July, but just this week are we back to almost normal, with seating in the building, masks optional, no restrictions on time or capacity. I'm close to the end of The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey on audio, but the library loan expired before I could finish it, so I have to wait for it to come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad your library is back to normal. Not sure about ours; I've gotten to be an e-book addict, it is so easy to click and read, and I don't have to worry about returning them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...