Aug 20, 2021

Book Beginning: First Person Singular by Haruki Murakami

 


First Person Singular Stories by Haruki Murakami, April 6, 2021, Knopf

The picture of the snow monkey on the cover reminds me of winter coming, as autumn is just about here, and the temperatures will soon be dropping. It also reminds me the library will be after me to return this book, which has been on my shelves for too long. So let me begin reading with the First Paragraph. 

First paragraph, first story (Cream):

So I'm telling a younger friend of mine about a strange incident that took place when I was eighteen. I don't recall exactly why I brought it up. It just happened to come up as we were talking. I mean, it was something that happened long ago. Ancient history. On top of which, I was never able to reach any conclusion about it. 

 

Page 56: (Charlie Parker Plays Bossa Nova)

The editor did kick up a bit of a fuss about my having tricked him. I didn't actually fool him, but merely omitted a detailed explanation. 


Has anybody read these stories yet? 

 Would you read on?

The Friday 56. Find any sentence that grabs you on page 56 of your book. Post it, and add your URL to Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginning at Rose City Reader.

9 comments:

  1. Is this nonfiction or fiction?
    I love the picture, I love nature and animals
    but I guess I would have to read a bit more to
    know if I wanted to invest my time with it

    Come visit me:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/book-beginnings-on-friday-before.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually a fan of short stories but both of these excerpts intrigue me. This week I am spotlighting a book from deep in my TBR pile - More Than Fiends by Maureen Child. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this, enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love short stories!! They can often be exactly what you need to pass the time! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am currently reading a short story collection, too. I decided that I am a big fan of the form. I like both your quotes, so I am hopeful the collection is good. My Friday quotes from the Tattooist of Auschwitz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read Murakami in ages. I need to get back to his work sometime.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent read a Murakami for ages. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the audio and think the shorter stories might be a nice treat. It's been a few years since I've read one of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am always fascinated with where Murakami takes us in his novels. But I haven't yet read this collection of short stories.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...