Dec 12, 2021

Sunday Salon: Murders and a Saint

 Currently reading: 


Murder at the Porte de Versailles by Cara Black, March 1, 2022, Soho Crime, ARC. The 20th in the Aimee Leduc Investigations series set in Paris. 

A Saint from Texas by Edmund White, August 6, 2020, Bloomsbury. Acquired.

Identical twin sisters born in Texas: one becomes famous in Parisian society and the other approaches sainthood in the Catholic Church. 


Finished reading:

The Madness of Crowds by Louise Penny, August 24, 2021, Minotaur. The 14th in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache mystery series set in Quebec.

My comments: 

A police procedural and investigation par excellence.

 The time is contemporary, post-pandemic, and the plot revolves around a proposal by a well known statistician to force euthanasia on all of society's elderly, sick, and disabled. 

But is the violent murder of a woman in the small village of Three Pines a case of mistaken identity and was the controversial statistician the real target? 

The book has us guessing and being convinced of one or another of at least four different suspects before the reader is led away in another direction, in each case.

Well crafted plot and writing, this novel is filled with thought provoking questions on the value of family life and of human life in all its forms and stages.  I thought this to be one of the best, if not the best book in the series. 


What are you reading this week?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated Bookreviewer. Also,  It's Monday: What Are You ReadingMailbox Mondayand Sunday Salon   


26 comments:

  1. My sister has already made plane reservations for us to go to Paris at the end of March in 2022, so (fingers crossed!) I hope to read some books set in Paris during my time there and maybe even just before we leave. We will be staying in the Marais, and I ran across Cara Black's Murder in the Marais a few weeks ago. I'm saving it for our trip. I'd also like to read A Saint from Texas before or during the trip.

    I've never read Louise Penny but she's an author that I've seen recommended by so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Murder in the Marais is one of my favorites in the series. Hope you enjoy it. Lots of history there.

      I like Penny's characters and setting as well.

      Delete
  2. I love Louise Penny! Have read all of hers. Just saw this one at the library and put it on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really must read more of the Gamache series! I have read the first three.

    I also have a book written by Hillary Clinton and Louise Penny that I want to read soon.

    So many tempting books! Enjoy, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books and not enough time. Hopefully in 2022, we will get to some on our wish list!

      Delete
  4. Love the covers of all these books! Hope you enjoy them!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  5. All look like good reads! I'm especially intrigued by A Saint from Texas.

    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to finish A Saint From Texas. I own the book so am reading the borrowed books first!

      Delete
  6. Cara Black is my friend Mary’s all=time favorite, and she loaned me a couple of them which I read. I might go back to it. Also, I plan to eventually read some of the newer Louise Penny books: I haven’t kept up. Good that you are keeping up!

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and Penny have good series of books. I think I've read almost all of them!

      Delete
  7. I'm a cover snob and all love all the covers.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have still have about half of the Gamache series to read plus, I'm out of order as well - ugh. I've heard good reviews about the one you just read/reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books in the series can be read out of order, easily. Hope you get to read more of them.

      Delete
  9. 2022 will be the year I finally start the Gamache series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The The Madness of Crowds sounds like a good mystery.

    Have a good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Madness of Crowds is fantastic, with so many current and important topics.

      Delete
  11. I have all of these on my wishlist. I especially want to read Cara Black's books. I've heard so many great things about them. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her first, Murder in the Marais, remains one of my favs in her series.

      Delete
  12. These are nice covers. I have been meaning to try Louise Penny.
    Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks good, and love the cover - Murder at the Porte de Versailles.

    I hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to finish this newest book in the series. I've been distracted!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...