Jan 20, 2022

Book Beginning: The Taste of Ginger by Mansi Shah

 The Taste of Ginger by Mansi Shah, January 1, 2022, Lake Union Publishing

Genre: multi-cultural, contemporary fiction, family drama, romance

Descriptiona family tragedy beckons Preeti Desai, a first-generation immigrant in the U.S., back to the city of her birth in India. There, she has to navigate her way through a cultural and generational minefield as she tries to maintain her personal independence and a carefully nurtured Western outlook. 

Book beginning:
A gaggle of women, all speaking over each other in loud, animated voices, filled my parents' small living room. It was like watching a National Geographic special about social dominance, where pitch and decibel level determined the leader. They wandered around the room, grazing on homemade samosas and pakoras, careful not to get oily crumbs on the delicate fabric of their brightly colored saris. 

 Page 56: 

Until yesterday, we hadn't spoken in months. Not since she found out that my boyfriend - now ex-boyfriend - and I had been living together in Los Angeles. 

Would you read on?

The Friday 56. Find any sentence that grabs you on page 56 of your book. Post it, and add your URL to Freda's Voice. Also visit Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader.

20 comments:

  1. The opening does a great job of setting a scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? Very good details that lets you see her own bias.

      Delete
  2. The opener is very descriptive, and yes, I think would definitely read more! My book for this week was Shattered Snow by Rachel Huffmire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest of the book is very descriptive as well, especially of India.

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, I am definitely curious, and the excerpts drew me in. Here's mine: “THE GOOD SON”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An amazing new author with a lot of travel and cultural experiences to draw on.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious for more!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of interesting topics come up in this novel re immigrants and the cultures of east vs west.

      Delete
  5. I love the opening--I feel like I'm right there in that moment. The Taste of Ginger is a book I am really interested in reading. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy this one! Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-song-of-silence.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finished reading it already, and thought it was quite good!

      Delete
  7. I would definitely keep reading. It sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of that cover! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. God descriptive writing. I can picture the scene in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm definitely intrigued by that opening. I hope this book is a good read!

    PS: Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the book and reviewed it on goodreads. The writing is quite good.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: French Windows and The Venus of Salo

  In the Mailbox French Windows  by Antoine Laurain, publication June 25, 2024 by Gallic Books Source: ARC from Meryl Zegarek Public Relatio...