Aug 27, 2022

Mika in Real Life by Emiko Jean/Other Novels

Reviews and To Be Reviewed


Mika in Real Life
 2, 2022, William Morrow, NetGalley

Genre: contemporary fiction, YA, romance, women's fiction

My comments:

A heart-wrenching story of 36-year-old Mika who was encouraged by her mother sixteen years ago to give up her baby for adoption, and the story of the adoptee who finds her. 

Mika Suzuki of Portland, Oregon is gobsmacked by a surprise call from a 16-year-old Penny, who declares herself Mika's daughter. Penny wants to meet and Mika prepares herself for the encounter.

Penny and her adoptive father Thomas are almost too perfect to be believable at first. He is a caring parent, who with his now deceased wife, gave Penny all the love and affection a child could ever want.

However, Mika, the biological mother, is a 36-year-old unemployed woman now, who has a hard time making ends meet, and who decides she has to fake her life so as not to disappoint her daughter when they meet.

The angst of an adoptive child and a woman who gave her up at birth is well portrayed in this novel. It is moving and thought-provoking, and the characters and story line are excellently done. It is so well done, it moved me to tears in several instances. An enthusiastic five stars for  this contemporary novel of adoption.



Blown by the Same Wind by John Straley, December 2022, ARC courtesy of Soho Press
Genre: coming of age, mystery, Alaska crime fiction

About: Mysterious dreams of grizzly bears, a bumbling FBI agent, and a tense hostage negotiation have the town of Cold Storage, Alaska, turned upside down.

Inspired by assassination conspiracy theories, the life of Thomas Merton, and the changing tide of the ’60s, Blown by the Same Wind is a coming-of-age story for the town of Cold Storage as a whole. (publisher)

Addicted to You

by Krista and Becca Ritchie, Aug. 16, 2022, review copy courtesy of Berkley Books

Genre: romance, contemporary fiction


About: Lily is addicted to sex and her boyfriend Loren is addicted to alcohol. For three years, they have pretended to be in a relationship in order to hide their addictions from their families. How will this situation turn out? 


What are you reading this week? 
Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


38 comments:

  1. Reading: good! Me reading: Not so good! You have read so much more than I have this week!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I've yet to read the second and third books. I'm also a slow readerthese days.

      Delete
  2. Mika in Real Life sounds like a very good read. I will see if I can find a copy. Thanks for your review.

    And Blown by the Same Wind has some elements---60s, grizzly bears, Thomas Merton---that appeal to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVED Addicted to you! Hope you do too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Looking forward to reading it.

      Delete
  4. Mika in Real Life and Blown by the Same Wind does grab my attention immediately and Addicted to you might actually also work for me....

    Happy reading this week!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these books are new to me and although I don't read much YA, Mika in Real Life sounds very good as does the Alaska crime fiction story. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mika is really good as women's fiction too.

      Delete
  6. Mika in Real Life sounds good. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blown by the Same Wind sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Alaska setting and this writer's works.

      Delete
  8. I love the sound of Mika in Real Life. I am drawn to stories like this one. Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will like the novel, Laurel-Rain.

      Delete
  9. Mika in Real Life sounds really good. Enjoy your books and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mika in Real Life and Blown by the Same Wind caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those books sound good. I have seen Mika in Real Life around on Instagram. I like the sound of Blown by the Same Wind and I love the cover!

    Have a great week ahead!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/08/28/sunday-salon-18/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mika does sound very thought provoking and emotionally bittersweet, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mika sounds very interesting. I can understand her need and want to show her daughter that she's doing well. It would be so hard to give up your baby for adoption.

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the sound of Mika in Real Life. I can understand her wanting to appear better and more together for her daughter than she really is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Blown By The Same Wind looks interesting with its huge bear and Cold Storage as a character. Happy reading. -vvb32 reads

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the cover of Blown by the Same Wind. Nice books. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. All are new to me. I hope you enjoy them and have a good week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mika in Real Life sounds good to me. This is a new-to-me author so I'll have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That grizzly looks big on the book cover. I like the premise & setting of that one!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...