Jan 13, 2023

Book Beginning: If You Are Lonely....A Short Story by Yiyun Li

 


If You Are Lonely and You Know It by Yiyun Li
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Genre: short story

Gordon, a single divorced man, has as his only companions a foster pit bull disliked by the neighborhood, and an elderly widow who rents him the bungalow on her property. These contacts seem to be enough for him at the moment, as he goes out of his way to avoid conflicts with the neighbors re his dog, and continues taking care of his crochety landlord by doing her chores and creating a garden on the property. 
An interesting slice of one man's life.
 

Book beginning:

"She should've given you a different name," Gordon said. "No offence, but Ajax is a terrible name. A terrible role model for anyone. What about Odysseus, with some brains at least?"

The dog's eyes, limpid and devoid of self-doubt, did not show any recognition of the misfortune of his name.... 


Would you read on?

 Visit Book Beginnings at Rose City Reader for this meme. 


20 comments:

  1. it's not the genre that I usually read so probably not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a sad story. Even though I don't read short stories often, I like short stories that are a slice of life and will have to look for this one. I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that beginning pulls on your heart strings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems sad. Hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that sad. Gordon is happy with his life.

      Delete
  5. Interesting. Short stories aren't my usual fare, but I might have to check this one out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I would continue to read one, it has a dog in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ajax makes a big difference in Gordon's life.

      Delete
  7. Oh my.. I think I would like this book.. thanks for introducing me to this one
    My Book Beginnings is here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. A very short story that seems to end without anything much really happening.

      Delete
  9. I don't think I've read anything by this author. Have to check out her books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a nice man taking on a foster pit bull. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Magic, High Fantasy, Historical Fiction: the Poppy War Trilogy

  Mailbox Another book came in the mail, thanks to Wiley Saickek Publicity. A Fondness for Truth: A Linder and  Donatellli Mystery   by Swis...