Jun 4, 2023

Sunday Salon: Two Books for AAPI and Two Suspense Novels

 Two more books for AAPI Heritage Month and Beyond...and two new thrillers

The Queens of New York by E.L. Shen


Publication: June 6, 2023; Quill Tree Books
Genre: Young Adult, Asian American Literature, romance

Three young Asian American friends in New York are pondering their future after high school. They are from different ethnicities, but that this does not affect their friendship - Jia is Chinese; Everett is Vietnamese; and Ariel is South Korean- but they are in fact, all New Yorkers.

I found the themes intriguing and timely: Everett experiences discrimination and stereotyping of Asians at a theater production in Ohio; Ariel helps her family by discovering the details of the sudden death of her adventurous and non-traditional older sister in Korea;' and Jia decides whether her future will be separate from her restaurant owning Chinese family. What is heartwarming about this novel is how the three band together to support each other in their crises, and how they help solve Everett's soul crushing experience in Ohio.

I was surprised by the novel, in a good way, as the cover of the book prepared me for a different kind of story.



Publication: May 9, 2023; Sourcebooks Casablanca
Genre: romance, Chick Lit, contemporary fiction


An enjoyable Chick Lit romance set in Toronto and Seoul, with stressed out lawyer Ariadne Hui connecting with her roommate's cousin, Choi Jihoon, who turns out to be South Korea's most famous contemporary star.

That Ariadne doesn't know who Choi really is adds to the drama of the story, and their romance leaves the reader wondering how things will end for two people from such different worlds. The romantic suspense was worth the read, also the info about how stars can be overwhelmed by their young fans and how they protect themselves while catering to their young audience.

I'm back to reading thrillers!




The New Mother by Nora Murphy 

Published: May 30, 2023; Minotaur
Genre: thriller, suspense, mystery, contemporary, adult 

I was impatient with Nat, the new mother, who is exasperated with the new baby - his sleeplessness, his crying, his demands to be fed every two hours. I could understand her frustration, but thought she was over-reacting.

When she accepts her neighbor's friendship and help, stay-at-home dad Paul, she seemed overly clinging and needy, especially when her husband made partner at his law firm and she can think only of how she misses her own law career.

I was prepared to dislike her and the novel all the way through. What changed my mind? The last part of the story was worth reading the first half, as putting up with a clearly unraveling new mother paved the way for a very good ending.

I changed from a 3 star rating to a 4-5.



Published May 30, 2023; Avid Reader Press
Genre: suspense, thriller, adult 

This was an exciting thriller that started when an airplane with over 90 people on board crashes and sinks into the Pacifie Ocean near the Hawaiian islands. The main characters are a small family - Will and his young daughter, Shannon ,and his estranged wife, professional diver Chris - around whose personal lives the drama revolves.

Suspenseful, unpredictable, and filled with many other interesting personalities under extreme stress, the novel looks at human nature and the behavior of individuals facing difficult situations.  It also deals with the physical obstacles in trying to save the passengers trapped under water.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this nail biting adventure.

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


40 comments:

  1. The New Mother looks really good. All of your books look good. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two themed books for me this week: 'The End of the World and Other Catastrophes' Edited by Mike Ashley and 'The End is Always Near - Apocalyptic Moments from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses' by Dan Carlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two book titles beginning with The End! Hope they are good reads.

      Delete
  3. The Comeback looks like a lot of fun. I want to read that one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives an insight into the K=-pop artists and culture.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I don't actually bite my nails, lol, but did enjoy the suspense.

      Delete
  5. My brother recommended (something he seldom does) "Drowning" just a couple of days ago along with one other of the author's books but I was still a bit skeptical. Two "thumbs-up" in two days has now convinced me to give it a try, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like the suspense and the What Now questions you will ask yourself as you read along.

      Delete
  6. Thrillers are my usual thing, but I do enjoy one or two during the year. Drowning keeps appearing in my feed... might just give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it if you read it. suspenseful.

      Delete
  7. It's always great to be surprised in a good way as you were with The Queens of New York.

    I know you are happy to be back to enjoying thrillers. Such a popular genre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still look for books for AAPI and Beyond! But good thrillers are welcome!

      Delete
  8. Have you read the novel "Number One Chinese Restaurant" by Lillian Li? I really liked the book and also like the fact that she is local here in Ann Arbor (as far as I know, if she hasn't moved on recently).
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost gave it away but then thought of another AAPI book and kept it. Will get to it soon.!

      Delete
  9. I'm excited to pick up Drowning! Looks like you had a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a nice variety. Have a wonderful week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to hear The New Mother's second half improved the reading experience.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have enjoyed hearing about your AAPI heritage month reads. You find such unique ones and several that I havent seen before. thanks. I'm adding some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad you enjoyed them. I will include one or two in future posts.

      Delete
  13. Thrillers...my favorite. The Drowning looks fabulous!
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like a good suspenseful read so The New Mother looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a good one, once you can get past the seemingly incompetent, the beginning, mother.

      Delete
  15. Thrillers are not for me, I no longer can handle them. I hope you enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put aside one or two that were too intense.

      Delete
  16. Drowning, like Falling, was a thrilling read I thought.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  17. These do look interesting. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drowning is the one that I find particularly interesting. Thanks for sharing all your books. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A previous book by the author, Falling, is supposed to be good too.

      Delete
  19. I've enjoyed Falling by T. J. Newman so I'll definitely keep a look out for Drowning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Comeback and The New Mother sound great. Thanks for visiting my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Voices of the Old and the New: Corky Lee and Julia Alvarez

  NEW RELEASES Corky Lee's Asian America Fifty Years of Photographic Justice by  Corky Lee Publication April 9, 2024; Clarkson Potter/Te...