Sep 9, 2023

Sunday Salon: Nordic Noir and an Unusual Romance

 



The Shadow Murders
: Department Q #9 by Jussi Adler-Olsen
Published Nov. 4, 2021; Dutton, NetGalley
Genre: police procedural, crime fiction, thriller, Nordic noir
Rating: five stars

Department Q thrillers set in Denmark are always suspenseful and this book is the most suspenseful I can remember reading in the series.

The themes alone are striking: It is 2020 and the police department is hampered by Covid restrictions and lockdowns in the city, but are called to investigate a woman who kills herself many years after losing her young son in an horrific explosion. That explosion at a car repair shop also killed the shop owner and several workers.

It's also Christmas time, so things slow down in the police department. The group of four investigators in Department Q however must carry on, especially when they realize that the car shop explosion is linked to many, many other murder cases, with the culprit or culprits planning a new Boxing Day (Dec. 26) murder.

Vengeance, insanity, misguided religiousness, megalomania, are all mixed up in the case, which challenge Department Q - Carl, Assad, Rose, and George - to the nth degree and threaten their own lives.

Trigger warnings:  This series is listed as Nordic Noir, and it is very noir - that is, crazily violent. I enjoyed it, reading nonstop while biting my nails and getting very stressed. I don't know if I'll read another in the series - (I'm showing my age!) 


A romance/chick lit to lighten the mood: 




Sweeten the Deal
by Katie Shepard
Publication: October 17, 2023; Berkley, NetGalley
Genre: romance, contemporary fiction, chick lit
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The protagonists are 10 years apart in age, but MBA student Caroline Sedlacek loves having Adrian as her "sugar baby," someone she found online to be her paid boyfriend and companion for shows, opera, museums, sightseeing and cultural events. Caroline is not adept socially, doesn't know much about how to dress, attend events, or how to socialize, though she is business savvy and smart in other ways.

We learn later in the book that Caroline is neurodiverse, having a kind of mild cognitive disability, which makes her reliance on her sugar baby, Adrian, plausible as central to the plot. Adrian is a down-on-his-luck artist who can't even pay his rent at the moment.

I liked the ways in which Caroline helps Adrian get back on his feet as an artist, helping him promote and sell his once expensive art work. And of course, it's amusing how Adrian has to coach Caroline on the social front.

An entertaining and unusual contemporary romance written with humor and empathy.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?injuly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


33 comments:

  1. I do like some Nordic Noir/Scandi-crime and I have several by this author in various piles. Maybe I'll read some next year! I've just started 'After the Party' by Cressida Connolly and next after that will be 'The First Four Minutes' by Roger Bannister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed all the previous noir novels I read by the author, but this one was over the top! Enjoy it if you get to it.

      Delete
  2. I used to be quite an avid reader of Nordic Noir but I've gotten away from it in recent years. Maybe I need to dip my toes in again. I'm glad you enjoyed "Sweeten the Deal" even though it is really not my thing. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only one I had a strong love-hate reaction to. Hope you enjoy those you read.

      Delete
  3. I read and enjoyed the first two books in Adler-Olsen's Dept. Q books; I really need to get back to that series. I can't believe there's 9 of them now. And Sweeten the Deal sounds so cute. Another one to add to my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adler-Olsen's books may be less crazy early in the series.

      Delete
  4. I was a big fan of Nordic noir for a number of years before running into a string of them that were, in my opinion, way over the fantastical-line. I unconsciously started to back away from them at that point, but this one does sound good. I need to look into that author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read this particular one, I hope you'll be ready for a thriller " way over the fantastic-line.:"

      Delete
  5. The Shadow Murders sounds intriguing!!

    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2023/09/stacking-shelves_9.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd like Sweeten The Deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The romance sounds fun -- I would definitely want something like that after The Shadow Murders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read my first Q book a couple weeks ago, Keeper of Lost Causes. I listened to it and really enjoyed the voicing and the story. Assad & Carl are good characters!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-62

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about Nordic noir---the tension is thick throughout the book and the unexpected and extreme violence is disconcerting to those of us who are sensitive readers. Still, this book sounds like a fantastic read for those who love this genre.

    I can see why you might have chosen something light after The Shadow Murders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Shadow Murders sounds great, in spite of how dark it is. I'll have to look into that series and I think I might like the noir bits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those cold Nordic reads! And if you're reading it non-stop with all that tension, than that's a great recommendation for me! I haven't read anything by that author before, so I'm adding one more for my ever growing list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweeten the Deal is a book I need to read. Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read the first three books in the Department Q series and really enjoyed them but they are gritty! I also watched a tv version of these and it was great. I clearly have fallen behind on this series but need to catch up as this one sounds like a great entry in the series! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the cover of Sweeten the Deal. Glad you enjoyed these. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweeten the Deal sounds right up my alley! Thanks for sharing!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah I think I'm a bit too squeamish for Nordic noir. Or too old. hmm. You are brave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The books sound good. Lately I've been wanting to read rom coms. Sweeten the Deal sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read several of Henning Mankell's books and also the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo books, but I think that's the closest I've come to Nordic noir. The rom com looks more my speed!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’ve read a few Department Q books but they dropped off my radar at some point, the premise of this one sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both books sound good. I don't think I've ever read Nordic Noir and should give it a try. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Shadow Murders sounds like an interesting mystery.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The Shadow Murders sounds good to me. I hope you are dwelling on good memories during your week. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've read a couple of those Department Q novels. They are good, but definitely violent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A few years ago, I would have been tempted by your first title, but now I try to stay away from super dark. I'm sure it's very well written though, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...