Oct 21, 2023

Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant by Curtis Chin: Sunday Salon

  NEW RELEASE

 

This is a reprint of a February 2023 review posted on this blog. I am reprinting it as the author has an extensive list of cities he is now visiting for book signings and readings, including in this city!

Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant: A Memoir by Curtis Chin  October 23, 2023, Little, Brown and Company

Genre: memoir, family drama, multicultural interest, LGBTQ

Setting: Detroit

The memoir is about growing up Asian in Detroit in the 1970-1980s. The publisher sums the book up best:

Nineteen eighties Detroit was a volatile place to live, but above the fray stood a safe haven: Chung’s Cantonese Cuisine, where anyone—from the city’s first Black mayor to the local drag queens, from a big-time Hollywood star to elderly Jewish couples—could sit down for a warm, home-cooked meal.
Here was where,... surrounded by his multigenerational family, filmmaker and activist Curtis Chin came of age; where he learned to embrace his identity as a gay ABC, or American-born Chinese; where he navigated the divided city’s spiraling misfortunes; and where ... he realized just how much he had to offer to the world, to his beloved family, and to himself.

My comments: 

As an Asian American living in the Midwest, I saw Detroit as both fascinating and dangerous, even as it declined economically and socially when it lost the auto industry and its economic power, and became a literal war zone, with riots and fires, a city soon abandoned by many long time residents.

I was delighted to read of this Chinese family that stayed and thrived even in dangerous conditions, because of their well-known restaurant with customers from all classes, races and religions, the common ground being love of Chinese cuisine.

The memoir describes a volatile Detroit during those changing times and the lives of the Chinese family, the Chins, as seen by third son, Curtice, a second generation son. Curtice's book covers his life there until he left after graduating from the University of Michigan to find his own way, as a film maker in NYC.  

The heady topics of his sexuality, his position in the family as the middle child of five, plus racism and discrimination, and the dangers of Detroit are offset by the humor with which Curtice Chin tackles his own personal life there.  The memoir is entertaining as well as informative and very considerate regarding many of the people he came in contact with in school, at work, and in daily life. This, in spite of the fact that the Chinese community there could not forget the murder of a family friend, Vincent Chin, considered an act of discrimination that was never fully punished. 

I can see that it took this long for the author to write this book, perhaps because of the sensitive subjects and also because gay rights and legal immigrant rights are now fully established. (At least, we hope so.) Kudos to Curtis for writing with so much insight and honesty, and presenting himself with delightful humor in between the very serious topics.

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the Shelves.

28 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one and he is coming to your city. Will you go see him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to. I think it will be very interesting. Just have to figure out advance tickets for the event, etc.

      Delete
  2. Detroit is a very complex place that doesn’t get recognized for its many features. Although I live quite near to it, I rarely go there for anything but the Detroit Inst. of Arts.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same about going to Detroit for the longest time. I'm now more open about exploring parts of that city that seems to be on the verge of a comeback.

      Delete
  3. I like a memoir that manages to tackle serious topics with humor, because both are a part of most of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything I Learned, I Learned in a Chinese Restaurant sounds fascinating. I remember reading your review earlier in the year, and it's wonderful to hear that the author is now on a book tour. I wonder if he will be visiting the Texas Book Festival in November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to his schedule, he'll be in Michigan those days!

      Delete
    2. He said he was invited to Texas, Deb Nsnce, but was already booked for Michigan.

      Delete
  5. That is quite an extensive tour. Glad you enjoyed the book so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Told me a lot about Detroit in the late 1990s and about Asian immigrants there.

      Delete
  6. This memoir sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great memoir. Hope you get a chance to see the author on tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to catch him in town in November, if all goes as planned.

      Delete
  8. This one is waiting for me in my NetGalley account. I hope to read it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing this on your blog. I see he's coming to Michigan- I might think about attending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! This book sounds interesting! Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! He's going on quite an extensive tour for his book. I hope you do get a chance to attend. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a fascinating commentary on a slice of recent history - thank you for sharing the book and its details. I hope you have a great week, Harvee:).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow the author is doing a lot of book signings & readings! It looks like an interesting read. I'll look to see if our library has it. nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like an amazing book. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like he's going to be quite busy on his book tour right through December. The book sounds very interesting. I'm adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds so good. I guess food really does bring people together:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you get to meet the author! It sounds like an excellent memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a good memoir.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/22/sunday-post-94-10-22-2023/

    ReplyDelete
  19. That book sounds REALLY good and I see Curtis Chin is at TWO local events this week. Kicking myself for not having dealt with my car situation yet. At least I can add his book to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a good memoir. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...