Oct 14, 2023

Sunday Salon: Everyone Here Is Lying; Daughter of Ashes, and Cheerfulness

A review

Everyone Here is Lying by Shari Lapena
Published July 25, 2023, Pamela Dorman books. Library book
Genre: mystery thriller, suspense

It was interesting, sometimes distressing, to see how some families living on the same street interacted and responded when a nine-year-old autistic child went missing. Several people had secrets that prevented them from telling the truth to the police, and to each other, and slowed down the process of finding the missing girl.

The author captured people and families in distress who hide secrets so very well. It was an enjoyable suspense, although also disturbing to read about the hidden sides of some very realistic characters.

Caveat: I was a little concerned that the characteristics/personality of the autistic child in this novel could lead to generalizations about autism.


In my mailbox   



Daughter of Ashes by Ilarila Tuti, December 5, 2023; Soho Crime
Genre: thriller, Italy, crime fiction
Setting: mountains of Northern Italy

This is the fourth and final book in the Italian crime fiction series with aging detective, Therese Battaglia, who battles creeping dementia while she tries to solve an old crime that has haunted her for decades.

I was especially interested in how this detective would go about her work in spite of her escalating dementia. The setting in Italy also interested me, as well as that this is Italian noir!

Update: see my full review on goodreads.

And now for something more cheerful!


Cheerfulness by Garrison Keillor, May 13, 2023; Prairie Home Productions
Genre: personal anecdotes; nonfiction
Source: Wiley Saichek Publicity

Publisher: Veteran radio host Garrison Keillor uses personal anecdotes that inspires to choose cheerfulness in daily life. (publisher)

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of thejmonth?i
nly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday.

37 comments:

  1. A mystery set in Italy and written originally in Italian sounds very intriguing. I like to find stories from other places and other languages rather than books written in English but set elsewhere. Books about autistic children often are making a point but not really trying to understand them.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A novel that reveals a lot of truth about autistic children is making the headlines these days. Happiness Falls by Angie Kim is highly recommended for its insights and research into the minds of those unable to express themselves verbally due to autism

      Delete
  2. I DNFd my Werewolf book, so now I'm reading 'The Makers of Scotland - Picts, Romans, Gaels and Vikings' by Tim Clarkson, then 'Neuromancer' by William Gibson - its another 'buddy' re-read but this time with a different Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a sci fi or fantasy fan in general though I have exceptions. So I can understand your not finishing the werewolf book.

      Delete
  3. Interesting reading choices there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had Cheerfulness on my wish list ever since I first heard about it months ago. Yours is the first review of it that I have seen. My birthday is coming up soon, and I hope I get a copy of it then.

    Italian crime fiction with an aging detective sounds delightful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still reading Cheerfulness. The review was the publisher's comments but I'm sure I'll agree.

      Delete
  5. Cheerfulness looks good! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! I hope you enjoy both of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll read the Cheerfulness anecdotes one at a time!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like some good books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lapena book is one I'd probably enjoy reading. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read some Italian crime novels that are quite good.

      Delete
  8. These all look good, Daughter of Ashes especially caught my eye. I'm in the middle of reading a short story collection. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a paper book and I'm used to reading ebook versions, so must try to get to it sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  9. Ooh shari Lapena. I've enjoyed what I've read of hers. The Italian setting of the second one intrigues me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italian crime fiction is pretty good. Gianrico Carofiglio
      also writes a series set in south Italy.

      Delete
  10. Solving a case while battling dementia would definitely be a challenge! I hope she was able to solve it! The Shari Lapena does sound interesting. Sadly, real life is often disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is that she will solve the case in spite of dementia. But I'm curious about the ending.

      Delete
  11. Daughter of Ashes looks good, I have only read The Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting central character that is in Daughter of Ashes. I'm really curious about the series after hearing of this one. Have you read the first three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first in the series I have seen. Gianrico Carofiglio also has a crime series set in Southern Italy.

      Delete
  13. Daughter of Ashes sounds interesting. My mother is in the throes of dementia right now and I can't imagine someone trying to reliably function with any degree of this horrible condition. The title is on my radar so I'll look into it. Have a good week.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Mary.

      Delete
    2. Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. God bless.

      Delete
  14. Very nice books, indeed. I particularly like the cover of Cheerfulness, with its image of the iconic Brooklyn Bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everyone Here is Lying sounds good! I'm trying to get my one November review title read before NaNoWriMo starts. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice looking variety of books. I hope you enjoy Cheerfulness. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your books look so good. The Shari Lapena one especially looks good. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have me curious about Tuti's book and where in Italy she sets her crime fiction. Is it in Rome? We have just returned from a trip to Italy ... and so books set there are appealing. I'll check for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed Shari Lapena's The Couple Next Door, but haven't read any of her other books yet. Everyone Here Is Lying sounds good--and disturbing! Daughter of Ashes has an interesting premise, doesn't it? A main character with dementia. I hope you enjoy your reading and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you got Cheerful after the suspense thrillers. :-) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...