Oct 7, 2023

Sunday Salon: Visit to Toronto, Ontario and New ARCs

 Canada

I didn't get much reading done this past week as we took a brief trip to Toronto, Ontario, a city I love for family get-togethers at fabulous dim sum restaurants, plus eating Jamaican patties from a local bakery. This was my first time eating the patties the traditional Jamaican way, folded inside a roll of coco bread. 


Coco bread, africanbites.com

Coco Bread – a popular staple bread in Jamaica and other parts of the Caribbean made primarily with flour and coconut milk, then slightly sweetened just to tickle your tastebuds. Buttery, slightly sweet with a spot on firmness on the outside and softness on the inside. (africanbites.com)


Jamaican patties, Mission-Food.com

Jamaican patties are half moon shaped flaky pastries with bright yellow-hued dough and a spiced savory filling. They are considerably easy to make, are baked and not fried, and are excellent as a snack, light lunch, or party food.

Historically the concept of Jamaican patties was inspired by Cornish pasties which were brought to the island by immigrants. Curry and chiles were introduced by Indian laborers and African slaves. The combination has become a true Jamaican revelation. (Mission-Food.com)

How to eat: unfold the coco bread, place a whole patty on it, refold, and enjoy! Double the carbs!

Back at home I'm still finishing the rom com, Lunar Love by Lauren Kung Jessen, and added new books to my bulging ARC digital library! 


A Nero Award–winning author got my attention. In Murder Crossed Her Mind, investigators 
Pentecost & Parker (Lillian and Will) look into the disappearance of a shut-in, an elderly woman with a phenomenal memory who might have known too much.



The blue wilderness book cover made me interested in Never Come Back. A family involved in lies, betrayal, and murder is the theme of this suspense by Edgar Award winner, Joe Hart.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of thejmonth?inly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

37 comments:

  1. The Hart book cover is quite enticing. It wouldn't be the first time I read a book because I liked the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm partial to covers too, especially of snowy mountains or wilderness.

      Delete
  2. Toronto is a great city. I was quite taken with how diverse the city is, as well as the enormous amount of artwork in the city.

    I was pretty sure those were pictures of empanadas until I read your caption. Empanadas are one of my favorite foods to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Empanadas I’ve had had olives and raisins added. Jamaican Pattie’s have hot peppers and beef chili with some curry.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great trip and the food looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to come home early and missed a bigger family get together at another fabulous dim sum restaurant. At home here, the last restaurant that served dim sum just closed. Feeling deprived, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I had the curry Jamaican patty but next time, I'll have the spicy beef patty.

      Delete
  6. Now I'm hungry. But it's bedtime. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food looks amazing, now I'm hungry. Happy reading, Never Come Back sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that food certainly made my mouth water...! [lol] I'd definitely be interested in the Jamaican patties if they did a Veggie version.

    Book-wise, I'm just about to finish my excellent D-Day read. Next up is 'Second Foundation' by Isaac Asimov followed by 'Wolves and Werewolves' by John Pollard - as its Halloween month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What delicious looking treats! Your books look good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The food pictures are very enticing - I've never eaten Jamaican patties, although I'm very familiar with Cornish pasties. Glad you were able to get away for a trip and hope the coming week is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be the Spanish empanadas influenced the Jamaican patty too, as there is a strong Spanish influence in Jamaican food - use of lots of onions and tomatoes, etc.

      Delete
  11. The Jamaican patties sound delicious! And the coco bread too. Now I want to try both! Trips are always worth losing a little reading time. But it's nice to get back to our books too. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent a weekend in Toronto for. a hockey game once. We actually went by bus from New Jersey to Toronto. And half the people flew back because being on a bus for that long is rough. At the time, most of the restaurants were closed in the afternoon, so our only food choice was a Tim Horton's. lol. Wish we searched a little harder to find what you were eating! It looks so good!! I like that Joe Hill cover too! The book sounds good too. Thanks for sharing and have a great week! Suzanne (Chick with Books)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can probably find every cuisine in the world, or close to it, in Toronto! If only you had Google at the time to find restaurants!

      Delete
  13. Oh my goodness, that food looks amazing!! We've been to Toronto a couple of times, but not in the last ten years or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first visit after seven years was last week. It was great going back.

      Delete
  14. Cornish pasties have inspired all sorts of spin-offs, including the ones in the UP of Michigan. Those look really good. The fusion cuisine in Jamaica is really amazing, though I am not sure it still exists there in the way it formerly did.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oxtail soup, curry goat, jerk pork and chicken, they are all still going strong. Including the Jamaican patty, which has been around for ages.

      Delete

    2. also roast beef cooked with onions, tomatoes, thyme, soy sauce, Scotch Bonnet hot pepper, etc.

      Delete
  15. I'll have to try those Jamaican patties, they look delicious.

    Never Come Back looks great, I've liked two of his previous reads.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Harvee, your getaway to Toronto sounds like a great place to getaway! I finally posted a bit of an update after 4 mths. Got to check out what you've been reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back. I saw the list of books you read this year. Impressive! Hope you keep on trekking, I mean…blogging.

      Delete
  17. Glad you had a good visit to Toronto, and the Jamaican patties are definitely a great Toronto specialty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost all Jamaican eateries will have Pattie’s, but there is a well known one we always buy from in Toronto

      Delete
  18. Wow, I shouldn't have opened your post before breakfast! Now I'm craving something sweet. We haven't visited Toronto in years, but really enjoyed our time in that city and would love to go back one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go back for relatives and for those patties!

      Delete
  19. I am glad you had a nice visit to Toronto. Nothing beats good company and good food. Coco Bread sound so good! I hope you are enjoying Lunar Love. I am looking forward to reading that one. Both Murder Crossed Her Mind and Never Come Back sound good as well. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much reading done in toronto visits, you can see why!

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Jamaican patties, the authentic ones, are the best!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...