Nov 4, 2023

Sunday Salon: Mystery Novels in Translation

 



The Couples Trip by Ulf Kvensler
Published April 2022, Hanover Square Press
Genre and setting: thriller, adventure, northern Sweden 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A group of four travel to the north of Sweden in the fall, for a challenging mountain hike three of them have never attempted before. Jacob is the newcomer who proposes the change to the tried and true hiking location that Anna and Henrik and Milena have taken for many, many years.

Is it the new person to the group, Jacob? Or the challenge of the unfamiliar mountains? Something has turned the hiking trip sour and even dangerous. One of the group, the narrator of the story, seems to become unreliable as time passes and we are left to wonder about the stresses of this group hike.

The characters are well drawn, individualistic, and intriguing, as they travel together under some duress. The descriptions of remote mountains, lakes, and forests in northern Sweden is breathtaking yet adds to the suspense, which builds throughout the book, an unputdownable read. Nothing is predictable in this book's plot. I loved it and, at the same time, hated the stress of reading it.

An astounding suspense novel by a Scandinavian thriller writer from Sweden. 
   


The Lover of No Fixed Abode by Franco Lucentini, Gregory Dowling (translator)
Publication: February 20, 2024, Bitter Lemon Press
Genre: mystery, romance, Venice

Book publisher:
A passionate affair set in Venice between a Roman princess searching for undervalued paintings and a mysterious tour guide. Art shenanigans become unavoidable, but the guide's true identity is the mystery that drives the story. Their passion will last three days, long enough to be exposed to unscrupulous art dealers and scammers passing off worthless paintings as part of a famous collection.

She goes to cosmopolitan parties given by Venetian social and art glitterati. Mr Silvera, a guide whose erudition and distinction sharply contrast with his beat-up suitcase and stain-spotted raincoat, drags his shabby tourists from monument to monument. Around them are the canals and lagoons of Venice, a city which becomes a character in the novel in its own right. Written with elegance and wit, this is an atypical, sophisticated novel of love, crime and social satire worthy of Fellini's Dolce Vita or Sorrentino's The Great Beauty . The novel does have a mystery at its heart – and it concerns the identity of the principal character, apparently a tour guide, but clearly something else as well. 


 Thanks to Meryl Zegarek Publicity for a review copy of this book.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of thejmonth?i
nly202

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso,  It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday.

39 comments:

  1. I like books in translation, because they often give you a very different perspective on things - which is always good to have!

    I've just started 'Napoleon and the Hundred Days' by Stephen Coote. Next up will be 'The Necropolis Railway' by Andrew Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! LOL="I loved it and, at the same time, hated the stress of reading it." So funny! I hope you enjoy The Lover of No Fixed Abode. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Cindy. I was anxious about the ending as I was reading it.

      Delete
  3. Those look interesting. Thank you for the reviews. I'm putting them on my "maybe read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first book sounds good, and the second one looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first and hope to read the second, especially since it's more romance than mystery according to the blurbs.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the reviews. Both new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look for books that have arrived here in America from other parts of the world, written in other languages than English. It can be very frustrating to me when I learn of a good book published in another country and I learn that it has not been translated. Thank you for bringing these to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading what writers from other countries reveal about themselves and their surroundings.

      Delete
  7. Nice reviews, Harvee. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading your reviews makes me wish I read mysteries and thrillers more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha. Some are very good, others are so so.

      Delete
  9. I am a fan of Scandinavian thrillers. Will check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one. I found mine at the library.

      Delete
  10. Adding the Couples Trip to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Couples Trip sounds good and suspenseful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Couples Trip sounds good! I just read The Hike by Lucy Clarke recently and it's similar, but set in Norway. A good book if you're interested.

    The one set in Venice sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. I read The Hike and it's tame compared to the suspense in The Couples Trip.

      Delete
  13. Oh, I love unreliable narrators, and thrillers from Sweden! Thanks for telling us (me) about this, I will most certainly look for it! Bellezza at dolcebellezza2.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find it, Bellezza. I got my copy from the library.

      Delete
  14. I love Nordic thrillers. I'll have to add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the cover of The Lover of No Fixed Abode!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These both sound good. I enjoy mysteries in translation, especially those written by members of cultures very different from the Western tradition because so much truth is inadvertently revealed about life within them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first one especially appeals to me. Thanks for sharing.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  18. What great books this week. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/11/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I recently saw Couples Trip at my local library. Maybe I need to consider picking it up. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These books both look interesting. I don't often read books in translation. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Couples Trip was a great read! I loved reading about the Swedish setting and all the more on the vast hiking trail!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These both look like good reading and different countries. Glad you enjoyed the first, hope you enjoy the second. Happy Reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the sound of The Couples Trip. From the way you describe it, I imagine it would be hard to put down! I like the cover of The Lover of No Fixed Abode. I think I would like that one as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on both of these books. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Swedish novel sounds intense! I don't think I've read a hiking novel since Jane Harper's novel Force of Nature. Have you read that one? This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...