Dec 16, 2023

Cats in Japanese Fiction: Sunday Salon

 

2023

49,550
pages read
Harvee
159
books read

My reading goal for this year was 160 books. As of today, I am up to 162 books, with a few more to come for 2023.
I know there are people who read up to 600 a year, so mine is a very modest number.  How did you do so far? 
Some of my latest reads featuring cats:
The Japanese and indeed many Asians are fascinated by cats, their lore, and their promise of good luck. Their history of influence goes back to Egyptian times. 
Adapted from Wikipedia

 

The maneki-neko (招き猫, lit.'beckoning cat') is a common Japanese figurine which is often believed to bring good luck to the owner. The figurine depicts a cat, traditionally a calico Japanese Bobtail, with a paw raised in a beckoning gesture. They  are often displayed in places of business, generally near the entrance, as well as (in) households.


Here are a few of many Japanese novels with cats as main characters.  



The Goodbye Cat by Hiro Arikawa
Published October 10, 2023 by Berkley, NetGalley

I enjoyed the stories in The Goodbye Cat, about how various kittens came into their owners' lives and into the lives of the children they grow up with. There is love, affection, and pathos in the lives of the cats and their humans, as the stories are about beginnings as well as endings.

It was interesting that the last story revisited the characters in the previous cat book by the author, The Traveling Cat Chronicles. Nana the cat and his owner Satoru are on their journey to various parts of Japan to find a new home for Nana, as Satoru is unable to continue taking care of the cat.

I loved reading about the various cat pets, their interactions and positive effects on the children in the households, and the fact that the cats are always treated as valued members of the family.

This book is definitely for cat lovers, but for those who are on the fence about which are better, cats or dogs, these stories may persuade them to consider both as equal.


 
The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
Published October 23, 2018, Berkley, NetGalley

A moving novel about a stray cat Nana adopted by a young man, Satoru, who later takes the cat on a car tour through parts of Japan and the scenic northern island of Japan. 

The empathy of Satoru comes through in his dealing with friends and with animals, in particular his cat Nana. Satoru is unable to continue caring for Nana and is on a mission to visit those he thinks could take responsibility for the cat. 

This is a book about a cat finding a new home, a beginning as a pet and companion, and about sad but hopeful endings.Published November 22, 2022; Atria Books, NetGalley

I enjoyed these stories about the abandoned kittens and cats rescued or taken in and fed by several people, primarily women, in this series of four interrelated short stories.

Some of the cats have outdoor lives of their own and find each other on the streets, confer together regarding their respective owners or benefactors, and help their human companions go through the complications and sorrows their lives bring.

In many parts heart warming, these stories of speculative fiction show how much cats as pets can mean to humans in real life and as shown in literature.


And now for something completely different:   



Every Time I Go on Vacation, Someone Dies by Catherine Mack
Publication: April 30, 2024; Minotaur, NetGalley

I liked the setting of this humorous mystery, a book tour of Italy with a focus on the Amalfi coast. On her book tour, writer Eleanor is so fed up with exlover and her main character in her books, Connor, that she begins thinking of killing him off in her next and final book in the series. But Connor is already convinced someone wants him dead in real life.

I found it interesting that the suspects are the group tour members and I couldn't wait to see which one it was, The twists and turns in the plot kept my interest, as the variety of individuals on this trip kept me reading. I was surprised and delighted by the ending.

Great character delineation and plotting, as well as humorous writing kept me engaged in this entertaining mystery.

What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

28 comments:

  1. Oooo thank you for this list of cats in Japanese fiction! I see some that I might like to read for Japanese Literature Month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for achieving your target. I think I'm up to about 200 but I'm retired so have lots of time to read now. I love the sound of the Italian mystery. It's set in a place that I would love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at 222 on Goodreads and will get a few more in this year. I also got the notice saying I was in the top 25%. It is the small things but it feels like a nice accomplishment. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cats and those first two sound wonderful. I want to take that journey with them.

    I love the idea of a mystery on the Amalfi coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read “I am a cat” by Soseki Natsume? Written in 1904 and a bit after. Very classic! Yes, the Japanese do love cat fiction!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still doing terrible with my reading, but I hope I finally get back into the groove in '24.

    I recieved a Christmas present of a cat figurine like that a few years ago.

    I have some books about cats to read this year. I'll check out your cat books too.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to get to 400 books read this year, and that's hard enough. I've nooo idea how people make it to 600! But I try not to focus tooo much on the amount, else I end up reading things because they'll be quick rather than because they're the things I most want to read, you know? Grats on exceeding your goal!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people on NetGalley Reviewers on Facebook have read close to 500 books and one has about 522, but none at 600 so far.

      Delete
  8. I get takeout at a local Japanese restaurant and there's a beckoning cat at the counter where I pick up. Now I know why -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea cats were so popular in books! The Mack novel sounds particularly good. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine how anyone can read even 200 books a year, much less something like 600 of them. The most I've ever read in a single year was 156, I think, and that was a year that I spent recovering from complicated hip surgery that kept me housebound for months. I was pessimistic this year and didn't expect to read more than 60 books, but caught my second wind around the first of June and see that I'm at 116 right now - with maybe another 2 or 3 to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I started my goal at 100 books for the year, but I upped it to 120. I'm currently at 124 with a few more in more before the year ends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of those cat books sound fantastic! I need to add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love to read stories with cats in them, and I love to read literature set in Japan, so most of your titles are titles I'd like to read.

    I generally read over 200 picture books, but this year I stepped away from the Cybils and I did not. Still, I've read more than I expected to read, with a heavy dose of kids' books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to reading Every Time I Go on Vacation, Someone Dies . The title just cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I *really* enjoyed 'The Travelling Cat Chronicles' and it was one of my top reads of the year. My review is here:

    https://cyberkittenspot.blogspot.com/2023/12/just-finished-reading-travelling-cat.html

    I'm looking forward to reading her cat short-story collection @ some point next year.

    I'm presently reading 'Michael Collins and the Troubles - The Struggle for Irish Freedom 1912-1922' by Ulick O'Connor. Next up will be '1066 Turned Upside Down' by Various authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CyberKitten, your review of the book was outstanding!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I find it *much* easier to write a review for a book I enjoyed SO much.. [grin]

      Delete
  16. I love cats so I'll have to look into your selection. I also have Every Time I Go on Vacation, Someone Dies so I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami was the one I thought of when I saw the heading of your blog post! I haven't read any of the ones on your list, but they look good. I was eyeing The Travelling Cat Chronicles for a while as a book club pick.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on accomplishing your GR goal. I'm at 143 and I might fit a couple more in before the end of the year. Have a good week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can only read about cats since I'm allergic to the real thing. I do enjoy my fictional versions though which I find mostly in the cozy mysteries I read. I started my Goodreads goal at 240 books but increased it each time I met a new goal. Right now I'm at 411 of 415 and should easily meet it. Come see my week here. Happy reading and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have surpassed my GR goal of 125. Those cat covers are great and I like the sound of the new mystery. Happy Holidays and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are people on Netgalley FB who have surpassed 550 and one is close to 600. I kid you not.
    A few say listen to audiobooks at fast forwarded speed and so get in a lot of books that way.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on blowing by your reading goal for the year. Well done! My own goal was a modest (by your standards!) 65, which I just reached. Every Time I Go on Vacation sounds like fun--I love Italy and am planning a second vacation there next year, so this will be perfect for the new year. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, that's a lot of cat books. I hope you love them. I've barely read 80 books this year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah I think I would like these Japanese cat books. Do you have any cats? I had many growing up but now just two dogs. I'm a bit allergic to cats but I like them. Your reading year went well. I had some distractions and so 60 is where I'm heading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I should also be between 160 and 165 by the end of the year.
    I love cats in Japanese lit, and recently have read several manga with them too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...