Dec 9, 2023

Finlay Donovan's Antics: Suspense Series

 Thriller/suspense series


I began seeing Finlay Donovan everywhere on the web - everywhere, that is, where bloggers write about books and characters they liked. I got a copy of the first Finlay book from the library and here is my take on Finlay Donovan Is Killing It (#1)

In the beginning, I found Finlay and her problems not very unique for a suspense novel, but as I read on, I became more involved in her need for family security, for money, and for making sure her ex-husband didn't gain sole custody of their two children.

That she is pulled inadvertently into a murder for hire situation, and how she manages the puzzling and troubling problems she finds herself in becomes unique and hilarious at the same time. At the end of the book, I'm looking forward to reading more about Finlay and how she might become a contract killer without actually killing anyone, not intentionally anyway.

i figured Finlay must be popular as the latest is #4 in the series. I plan to read the 2nd and 3rd books before I tackle the 4th.


Finlay Donovan Rolls the Dice (#4) by Elle Cosimano, March 5, 2024

Publisher: Finlay Donovan and her nanny/partner-in-crime Vero are in sore need of a girls’ weekend away. They plan a trip to Atlantic City... a cover story to negotiate a deal with a dangerous loan shark, save Vero’s childhood crush Javi, and hunt down a stolen car. When Finlay’s ex-husband Steven and her mother insist on tagging along, Finlay and Vero suddenly have too many meddlesome passengers along for the ride.

If Finlay can juggle a jealous ex-husband, two precocious kids, her mother’s marital issues, a decomposing loan shark, and find Vero’s missing boyfriend, she might get out of Atlantic City in one piece. But will she fold under the pressure and come clean about the things she’s done, or be forced to double down?


The second and third books in the series:


Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead (February 2022)

Finlay Donovan is―once again―struggling to finish her next novel and keep her head above water as a single mother of two. On the bright side, she has her live-in nanny and confidant Vero to rely on, and the only dead body she's dealt with lately is that of her daughter's pet goldfish.

On the not-so-bright side, someone out there wants her ex-husband, Steven, out of the picture. Permanently. Whatever else Steven may be, he's a good father, but saving him will send her down a rabbit hole of hit-women disguised as soccer moms, and a little bit more involvement with the Russian mob than she'd like. (publisher)



Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun by Elle Cosimano (January 2023)

Author and single mom Finlay Donovan has been in messes before―after all, she's a pro at removing bloodstains for various unexpected reasons―but none quite like this. When Finlay and her nanny/partner-in-crime Vero accidentally destroyed a luxury car that they had "borrowed" in the process of saving the life of Finlay's ex-husband, the Russian mob did her a favor and bought the car for her. And now Finlay owes them.

This from the publisher: From USA Today bestseller and Edgar-Award nominee Elle Cosimano, comes Finlay Donovan Jumps the Gun—the highly anticipated, hilarious, and heart-pounding next installment in the beloved Finlay Donovan series…

I'm not totally hooked on the series as I've only read the first book. Will let you know how I like the two others, both of which look like light, entertaining reading. 


What's on your reading schedule this week and/or the rest of the month?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlsoIt's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday.

29 comments:

  1. I've got this series on my TBR list. Maybe I'll get to it in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this first book, too. It's clever and humorous in how everything plays out. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping the humor carries over to the other three books!

      Delete
  3. Hmm, those covers look appealing... looks like it might be fun! Hope you keep enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just about to start 'The Book of Humans - A Brief History of Culture, Sex, War and the Evolution of Us' by Adam Rutherford. Then its continuing my Holmes buddy read with 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating history book. Sherlock is always good reading.

      Delete
  5. I'm a bit out of touch apparently. I hadn't heard about these book but they do look like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the books on several blogs, not a whole lot, but some.

      Delete
  6. I'm in the mood for something light, and Finlay Donovan Is Killing It could be perfect for that mood. I've been curious about this series, so I thank you for sharing a little about the plot as well as your thoughts about the first book in the series. The characters and plot sound a bit like the Janet Evanovich 123 mystery series---both serious and humorous; I can see why this is popular among readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds fun! I'm glad that you liked the first one and will look forward to hearing how the rest of the series goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finlay Donovan has been on my radar for a while and seems to be very popular. I'm glad to hear the first book was a hit for you. Hope to try it sometime next year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw people talking a lot about this series, but when I looked more into it, I decided it isn't for me. I prefer my mysteries more on the cozy side. Hope you enjoy the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember hearing of this author before. I haven't read a series for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read this series, although I have seen it around quite a bit. I think you are the first person to say it was a suspense series, I didn't realize it. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s really billed a thriller rather than suspense

      Delete
  12. I've seen this series around quite a bit and they do look fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This series is on my TBR list. I'm going to try to read happier books next year, and people have been recommending this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't made it to this series yet, but glad to hear you liked the first one. Hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the covers on these. Hope you enjoy them.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2023/12/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_10.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the Finlay Donovan books, but haven't read them all. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read the first in this series and decided that I didn't need to read on. It just didn't grab me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read books 1-3 and thought it was hilarious if a bit far fetched and crazy but I will definitely be checking out #4. They're just too fun and funny no to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I might have to take a look at this series... but I have plenty on my TBR shelves. I hope you enjoy the next books in the series. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The covers and titles make the series look fun. I hope they're enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have heard a lot about these books. I'll have to try one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice you found a good series that works for you!
    I finally discovered Marsha Wells's scifi series this year, The Murderbot Diaries, and devoured the 7 books this year (in audio)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You must read constantly. Congrats on beating your goal. It is impressive. I am trying to hit 100, and I'm at 96. Can I do it?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...