Jan 6, 2024

Sunday Salon: Books for the Beginning of 2024

 My books to start off the new year 

My rom com, cozy mystery request was finally approved, just in time for Chinese/Lunar New Year 2024, which begins February 10 


March 26, 2024; Berkley, NetGalley
Setting: Jakarta, Indonesia

Book description: What should have been a family celebration of Chinese New Year descends into chaos when longtime foes crash the party in this hilariously entertaining novel by the author of Dial A for Aunties.

After an ultra-romantic honeymoon across Europe, Meddy Chan and her husband Nathan have landed in Jakarta to spend Chinese New Year with her entire extended family.  Meddy and her Aunties however become helpless pawns in a decades-long war between Jakarta’s most powerful business factions. 
Determined to rescue her loved ones, Meddy embarks on an impossible mission—but with the Aunties by her side, nothing is truly impossible…

Click on title to see my review


This next book title grabbed my attention



Book description: A bracing, wildly entertaining satire about a small Southern town set in Georgia, a pitched battle over banned books, and a little lending library that changes everything

Publication: June 18, 2024; William Morrow, NetGalley
Click to see my review


A collection of short stories also caught my eye




Book descriptionThe Un-Inquired is the confession of refugees, families, and lovers. It chronicles the stories of those who are struggling to find their voice in society and discover themselves, recollecting their trauma and memories, from the loss of a foster brother in a shooting incident to the hallucinations of a Japanese American immigrant with schizophrenia. 
An antiheroic tale of finding a way to survive in a world, the collection is at times emotional and tender, at times melancholy, lonely, and wryly introspective.

Publication: January 12, 2024; Querencia Press, NetGalley


Can't omit a thriller


The title The Plus One and book cover made me request this ARC

Book description: The wedding of Radhika Singh and Raj Josh at a luxury resort in Cabos will mark the union of two influential and wealthy Indian-American families. No expense will be spared for what Radhika and Raj have coined “R&R,” a week of rest, relaxation, and celebrating their love. 

Shaylee “Shay” Kapoor is an outsider, dating Raj’s best friend, Caleb Prescott III, and is sucked into this world of wealth and excess. But on the morning of the wedding festivities, the wedding coordinator Daniela makes a frightening discovery: Raj and Radhika are dead, gunshots to the head.

Shay may be an outsider but she may be the only person with enough perspective to untangle everyone’s lies, and discover the motive for the murder.  See my review


And for later, a book on the Booker Prize 2024 list


Book Description: Memorably introduced by Ishiguro himself, The Summer We Crossed Europe in the Rain collects the lyrics of sixteen songs he wrote for world-renowned American singer Stacey Kent, which were set to music by her partner, Jim Tomlinson. An exquisite coming together of the literary and musical worlds, the lyrics are infused with a sense of yearning, melancholy, love, and the romance of travel and liminal spaces.
Illustrated by the acclaimed Italian artist Bianca Bagnarelli

Publication: March 5, 2024; Knopf 


What are your first reads for 2024?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday

35 comments:

  1. I'm starting 2024 with something "light": 'America in Retreat - The New Isolationism and the Coming Global Disorder' by Bret Stephens, followed by 'Plugged Nickel' by Robert Campbell.

    Happy New Year Harvee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed with your book choice, though I wouldn't consider isolationism and global disorder necessarily light reading. Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun bunch! Hope you enjoy.

    My STS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mish mash of genres, yes, but I enjoy reading them all.

      Delete
  3. So many good books to start off the new year! I'm interested in the first two especially! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Summer We Crossed Europe in the Rain is going onto my TBR right now.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. The little library of banned books looks interesting. I think someone was doing that here, across the street from the high school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little Library of Banned books looks interesting! I will be curious to see your thoughts on it! And, yay for your romcom coming in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like some good books. Hope you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the mix. I wish I could get the Lalli book

    ReplyDelete
  9. My first book of the year was a Christmas book. That's how far behind I am! I like the sound of the Kazuo Ishiguro book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like great selections - enjoy!

    Wishing you a wonderful reading week

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many good books!

    The Good, the Bad and the Aunties sounds like a fun read.

    I think I need to look for the satire about little libraries and banned books.

    And I'm always delighted to see a new Ishiguro book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea that Ishiguro had written song lyrics! I have been a fan since his first book, which was set in wartime Japan. Have a great year in books and life.
    Best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of these books sound so good. I especially want to read The Good, The Bad and The Aunties. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these sound great. I especially want to read the first two. I hope you enjoy them. Have a great week!

    https://jennielyse.com/sunday-news-50/

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Ishiguro book looks fabulous. I love that art style!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great batch of books! My daughter read the first Auntie book and enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice selection of books. The Little Library of Banned Books looks looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These all look like wonderful reads! Happy New Year Harvee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first book sounds very entertaining!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice list of books. The Good, The Bad, and The Aunties and Lulu Dean's Little Library of Banned Books sound fabulous. Hope you enjoy your reading.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/01/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_7.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice looking assortment of books. My first book read this year was a reread of Vengeance in Death by J. D. Robb. I didn't finish anything that wasn't a reread until Saturday when I finished The Tainted Cup by Robert Jackson Bennett. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to read The Good, the Bad and the Aunties. I have the audio on request. And I did not know about the new book by Kristin Miller -- I loved The Change!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks like you are getting the year off to a good start! I am excited about The Good, the Bad and the Aunties. I enjoy Sutanto's books quite a bit. I am interested in Miller's book as well. And the Un-Inquired sounds like it will be a good one. I will have to look for that one when it comes out. I hope you enjoy all of these. Have a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't wait for the next Auntie's book. I really wish she would write another Vera Wong. I loved that book so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading this new one now and it's good so far. NetGalley arc.

      Delete
  25. Such a great variety! I hadn't heard about the Ishiguro book and am really interested in that one. Have fun with all of these reads!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great variety in your book haul. Lulu Dean's Little Library of Banned Books looks interesting to me. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This seems like it would be good - The Good, the Bad and the Aunties - and also The Plus One.

    Hope your week has been good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Ishiguro book -- wow. Interesting idea by the master himself. I like how he has branched into both music and movies with his writing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lula Dean's Little Library of Banned Books and The Plus One sound good to me! Will keep them in mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...