Jan 11, 2024

How to Live Japanese by Yutaka Yazawa: Review

 


How to Live Japanese

Pub Date 11 Oct 2018
Quarto Publishing Group - Aurum Press, White Lion Publishing, NetGalley

Detailed and very readable book with sections covering the history, geography and topography of Japan, as well as the religions, cuisine, cultural traditions, famous landmarks and more.

This book would be good background reading for anyone traveling to Japan, to help   make the land, the people, and the customs easily understandable.  Religious celebrations, festivals, holidays, are all included in easy to understand and fluid prose.

Outstanding to me were descriptions of Mt. Fuji and its importance, mountain walking and trekking that are popular for so many, onsens and hot spring resorts, the unique preparation of food as in sushi and more, the geisha tradition and history, pottery making in the Kyoto region and elsewhere, other arts and crafts, farming and fishing occupations, religious festivals and celebrations.

Those already familiar with Japan will recognize many of the sections' information, and see these from the Japanese-born author's point of view.  I enjoyed reading about what was new to me and what I was already familiar with.


Yutaka Yazawa



Having spent university and early career years in London, Yutaka Yazawa decided to return to his childhood home of Tokyo. After a long career travelling in law, he decided to make the switch to writer. He has also written The Little Book of Japanese Living. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting and the perfect book to read before traveling to Japan. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine is traveling to Japan soon so I'm going to have to recommend this to them! Sounds like a wonderful addition to a regular travel guide to really learn more about a place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read. Would be an informative read for anyone who want to visit Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not been to Japan yet -- but it seems fantastic. Mt. Fuji would be fun to see in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read a couple of pieces of Japanese literature recently that have me interested in the idea of visiting Japan, though given that I hate long airflights I will have to settle for novels and books, I think!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...