Feb 17, 2024

New Books: Daughter of Mine, and Reversing Alzheimer's

Finished reading:

 


Daughter of Mine by Megan Miranda
Publication: April 9, 2024; Marysue Rucci Books, NetGalley
Genre: suspense, thriller, adult fiction

Hazel Sharp returns to her small hometown by the lake when she inherits the family home from her deceased father, a former detective. She becomes inquisitive about the first wife of her father who disappeared years before, and about her own mother, his second wife, who also disappeared years ago. The mystery makes her suspicious of her two brothers too, even though they are both local detectives.

When two empty cars are found submerged in different parts of the lake, Hazel becomes even more determined to find out what happened to her mother. I liked Hazel's persistence and her gumption to get to the bottom of strange happenings in her home town involving her deceased father and his two disappeared wives.

There is suspense and a surprise ending, though I had an inclination to suspect the real killer, who had seemed not suspicious before. I found this a worthwhile read, a good thriller.


To be read  


Reversing Alzheimer's by Dr. Heather Sandison
Publication: June 11, 2024; Harper, NetGalley
Genre: self help, medical, Alzheimer's

I borrowed this book from NetGalley after a friend expressed concern re her relative's diagnois of mild cognitive decline. I thought that the possibility of reversing that decline would be good to know about.  

It seems exercise, diet, lack of stress, good health and good sleep, are just a few of the things that can help people avoid rapid mental decline. I suppose staying physically and mentally active in daily life also contributes to overall health.

Description:
In Reversing Alzheimer’s, the author shows how we can alleviate the factors that nudge the brain into decline, add more of the things that contribute to brain regeneration, and either make significant improvements in cognitive function or prevent cognitive decline from happening in the first place. Hers is an individualized, step-by-step, whole-body approach.

Dr. Sandison systematically guides the reader through addressing the factors that contribute both positively and negatively to our cognitive health—from the biological and the physical (toxins, nutrition, hormones, infections, exercise) to the psychological (negative self-talk, trauma); from the social (personal engagement with our community, loneliness and relationships); to the cultural (ageism, stress). 

Other books

I'm still reading and liking The Island of Sea Women  by Lisa See for its local and WWII historical information of the island of Jeju in Korea. Also continuing in French Mon cœur a déménagé by Michel Bussi, and trying to keep the plots distinct, moving from one book to the other. 

How many books do you/can you  easily read at the same time? 

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Readingand Sunday SalonStacking the ShelvesMailbox Monday


26 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are enjoying "The Island of Sea Women." I did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am interested in knowing what happened to the 2 missing wives in Daughter of Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daughter of Mine is one on my TBR list. It sounds like the kind of thriller I enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Alzheimer's Book does look interesting. I typically have 3 books going at a time, a nonfiction, an audio book, and a fiction book. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh! These look like interesting reads! Great haul!

    Here’s my Stacking the Shelves

    Rabbit Ears Book Blog: WORLD’S WEIRDEST BOOK BLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am going to start Lisa See's latest book this week! I did love Island of Sea Women so this one will have a lot to live up to!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books listed sound interesting. Lisa See is good always too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo Daughter of Mine looks good!! Enjoy your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The book about Alzheimer's sounds interesting! I really wish we understood more about it in general -- sometimes doctors/scientists sound so certain about things, but really we don't understand a lot about it.

    Re: your question about reading books at the same time, I usually have two books I'm very actively reading (usually one fiction, one non-fiction) and some others on the back burner, switching things around according to mood. I'd say after five books at once, stuff starts getting too neglected, though...

    My STS/weekly roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Alzheimer's book does sound interesting. I'm at that age now of wondering if it could happen to me or someone close to me in the next few years. It's the scariest thing about aging, I think. I watched my mother-in-law go through it before she died a few years ago, and a couple of my friends have been diagnosed with it now. It's a heartbreaker for all involved. What the author says here certainly can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be keeping an eye out for the book discussing how to improve cognitive function. My poor mother-in-law has recently died, suffering from dementia - it's such a very cruel disease. In the end she didn't recognise any of her children:(. Thank you for sharing and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reversing Alzheimer's sounds too good to be true, although it offers such promise in the title. Having watched my mother-in-law and father suffer from this disease, it's hard for me to believe that such simple things as mental and physical activity can reverse it, slow it maybe, but not reverse. I would love to hear what science this is based on. Sorry to be a curmudgeon, but it is a horrible disease that cannot be taken lightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the ebook ARC from NetGalley, if you can access that on NG before the June publication date.

      Delete
  13. I am so glad that advances are being made in Alzheimer care. Glad you found the book helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have't read Megan Miranda in a while...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking forward to reading the Megan Miranda book and that Alzheimer’s book is one that I almost got.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’m a monogamous reader, Im usually read a book in one day though so it just makes sense.

    Wishing you a happy reading week

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every member of my husband's family-of-origin has been hit by Altzheimer's, so one of his cousins is always looking for new information to help the family cope. I will tell Linda about this book. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    I was surprised to see how much I enjoyed Lisa See's latest book. I would like to read more of her. Maybe I will look for The Island of Sea Women.

    I read a lot of different books at one time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, there are other books out there already printed with the same title or concept,. This is the most recent one I've seen, not due out till June of this year. And by a medical doctor, so I hope she has more to offer than the previous books.

      Delete
  18. I enjoy Megan Miranda's books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Megan Miranda book sounds good. I usually have a print and audiobook going at the same time. I switch off between them usually while my Kindle is charging or I'm playing computer games. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Both of these sound amazing. Hope you find the Alzheimer's book helpful.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_02091337683.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Daughter of Mine sounds like a good thriller. Lack of stress is a big factor in lots of illnesses I think. I can comfortably listen and/or read about three books at a time. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Daughter of Mine sounds like a good one.
    I can read up to 3 books at most; preferably all of the different genre so I won't get confused, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for your great review of DAUGHTER OF MINE. I have it in my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read about 2 books at a time and have an audio going. The brain health book seems like good advice -- we all need to get on the bandwagon ... as suffering from cognitive decline is terrible to see.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: Cozy and Less Cozy Mysteries

  Cozy Mystery I rarely read cozies these days, except for a few like Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. This latest is the 28th in the p...