Jun 8, 2024

New Books: Agnes Sharp and the Trip of a Lifetime and Lost in Tuscany

 In the Mailbox

I enjoy books about elderly seniors solving mysteries. This is one of several different series that I've come across. 



Agnes Sharp and the Trip of a Lifetime by Leonie Swann, September 3, 2024, Soho Crime

A follow up mystery novel to The Sunset Years of Agnes SharpAgnes and her octogenarian friends come face-to-face with a killer after winning a trip to a beautiful hotel in the seaside town of Cornwall. Translated from German


Currently reading:

a book just in time for birders or would-be-birders who are also rom com readers


Birding with Benefits by Sarah T. Dubb, June 4, 2024, Gallery Books. Genre: romance, contemporary fiction, adult fiction

Description

A divorcee crosses paths with a shy but sensitive birdwatcher who changes her life in this charming rom-com set in Arizona. Who knew Arizona had so many birders? I always imagined it as having just desert and red rock. 

Click here to see my review. 


Finished reading:
a very strange novel with an unusual plot and characters


One of Us Knows by Alyssa Cole, April 16, 2024; William Morrow. 
Genre: thriller, identity disorder, psychological thriller

Description: Years after a breakdown and a diagnosis of dissociative identity disorder derailed her historical preservationist career, Kenetria Nash and her alters have been given a second chance they can’t refuse: a position as resident caretaker of a historic home. 

I honestly didn't know how to rate this book. I can only say that the premise of multiple-personality Ken fighting for her life in a castle with a past is unique. Ken's many personalities interact and it's like reading a novel with real characters instead of one woman's separate identities/alternate identities popping up here and there during the narrative.

This plethora of characters/alters that belong to one woman known as Ken made me confused overall, however, and I found the novel too long to keep my interest. Ken's multiple personalities were so many and so diverse, I quickly flipped from the middle to the end of the book. A shorter version of the book would have kept my attention. And I really didn't understand the ending. Did Ken fall in love with one of her alternate identities? 

A thriller that gives extra meaning to the title and also to the term psychological in the genre psych thriller. 


Next to read: 
a summer bike ride in Tuscany. A rom com with a view


Lost in Tuscany by Sophie Sinclair, June 14, 2024; BooksGoSocial
Genre: romance, contemporary fiction

Description: Predictable thirty-six-year-old Summer Andrews doesn’t realize there’s such a thing as drunk-booking a trip until she wakes up with a beastly hangover and a non-refundable singles-only bike tour through Tuscany.

This is obviously a travel romance that has me curious about the sights on an Italian bike tour 

Watching:
I continue to find Korean drama series fascinating, even though many of them are so long. Up to 16 episodes. I recommend a heart breaking My Mister, and romantic comedy, Business Proposal, for first timers.

What are you reading/watching this week?  

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves 


21 comments:

  1. All are new to me so thanks for putting them on my radar!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw "Birding with Benefits" yesterday and was mildly tempting, as I like both birding and Arizona. There are parts of it that are forested. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many tempting titles! Thanks for sharing...and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first Agnes Sharp last year and did enjoy it. It was a bit odd but I recall one scene that was very funny. I'd be curious to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not heard of any of these but the birdwatching title made me laugh! Cute! #SundaySalon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lost in Tuscany looks like fun! And I am curious about the Agnes Sharp books too.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those books sound interesting. The multiple personalities one may be a bit much for me 😂

    This week I have been watching Only Murders in the Building on Disney+

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/06/09/sunday-post-sunday-salon-3/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of having older people as characters in books. One of the things that is also important to me is that the author of such books is also an older person. I'd love to see an older, wise person as a character, if any older authors are looking for a subject for their next book...

    Lost in Tuscany sounds promising and ideal for a summer read. I took a bicycle tour of Tuscany vineyards, and, trust me, it was difficult!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The German author is only 49 but has degrees in philosophy and psychology as well as English literature

      Delete
    2. Deb, amazing you took a bike tour of Tuscany. Eager to read the book to see if the characters think it’s an easy ride

      Delete
  9. All of these look good, especially Lost in Tuscany. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Seniors solving mysteries" seems to be a popular genre at the moment... I'm here for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lost in Tuscany looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seniors solving mysteries is fun. Jean Henry Mead has a series about two senior women solving crimes. Hope you enjoy your week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-june-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read Birding With Benefits! It looks like a lot of fun. And I love both birding and fun rom-coms. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these books sound interesting, but One Of Us Know sounds like it might be hard to keep track of everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of Us Knows would definitely have caught my eye but I don't think it's the book for me. I do love the sound of Birding with Benefits. I'm with you in that I would never have thought of Arizona as a birdwatching state. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy reading about elderly people solving crimes too. I hope you enjoy Agnes Sharp and the Trip of a Lifetime. I will have to look for that one. I am sorry One of Us Knows. It has such an interesting premise. I hope you are enjoying your current read and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the heads up about The Sunset Years of Agnes Sharp. I've put a hold on the first in the series. Thanks for talking about the series today. Like you, I am a fan of books with seniors solving crimes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A summer bike ride trip in Tuscany would be perfect! I've been on a fall trip there.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Cat Lovers, Coffee Shop, and Other Novels in International Settings

  There's a full moon this weekend - the Strawberry Moon, coffee lovers!  The Full Moon Coffee Shop  by Mai Mochizuki, translated from t...