Jun 1, 2024

Summer Reading

 Summer Books

I didn't get too excited by the books I've read so far about summer activities, except for the trip to Europe in The Itinerary, a rom com by Penny Pentley. 



The Itinerary by Penny Pentley
Genre: travel, romance, adventure

Lisa's trip to Europe alone, her mom and traveling partner having died before the trip, leaves her less alone than she had thought. She meets another traveler, Rocky, not just once, but again and again in the various cities of Europe that she visits. She wonders if he knows her preplanned itinerary or if these meet-ups are mere coincidence.

The reader is hooked not only by the detailed travel experiences and sights Lisa describes as she goes from country to country, but by the question of when, why, and how Rocky might show up again along her travel route.

This was an enjoyable armchair travel to cities like Rome, Florence, Geneva, Paris, Munich, in Italy, Switzerland, France, and Germany. I loved visiting  famous sites and museums with Lisa. But I was surprised at how easily she developed a romantic relationship with Rocky while always thinking they would never see each other again each time they meet on the trip.

Easy to read, with interesting main characters. the book was delightful as a light summer romance.



Until Next Summer by Ali Brady
Expected publication July 9, 2024, Berkley

This book will mean more to those with nostalgia for children's summer camps. This novel is the story of two former friends trying as adults to prolong and find again the excitement of their camp experiences. They both attend an adult summer camp, renew their friendship, find romance, and figure out a way to save their childhood camp from being closed and sold. 

I think besides being a rom com in an outdoors setting, the novel will be most interesting to those with lasting memories of good times at summer camp.

An enjoyable outdoor summer read overall.




The Comeback Summer, Pub Date May 09 2023, Berkley
Another summer novel by Ali Brady that I have on my list.

Description: Hannah and Libby need a miracle. The PR agency they inherited from their grandmother is losing clients left and right, and the sisters are devastated at the thought of closing. The situation seems hopeless—until in walks Lou, an eccentric self-help guru who is looking for a new PR agency. Her business could solve all their problems—but there’s a catch. Whoever works with Lou must complete a twelve-week challenge as part of her “Crush Your Comfort Zone” program.




The Summer Club by Hannah McKinnon
July 23, 2024 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

An exclusive beach club in New England is the setting for this summer novel, with its emphasis on golfing. The residents in the neighborhood who are members are upset by an aggressive newcomer and there are fireworks that develop between the teenager members of the club and among their parents during the summer.

The social club scene and their members are the focus of this novel, average in interest, characters, and plot.

What are you reading/watching this week?  Which summer themed books have you read ?

Memes: The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves 


20 comments:

  1. These summer reads look great! I'm trying to zero out my NG review titles this summer. Only 3 but my reading has slowed significantly due to helping with twin 6 month old grandsons.
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Itinerary sounds cute. I love being able to armchair travel through books. I'm currently reading a cozy mystery set in the south of France that makes me want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love armchair travel! The Itinerary will go on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These do sound like good entertainment for hot and muggy summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Itinerary does sound good. I have to settle for armchair travel most of the time, but I am not complaining as I do enjoy it. Until Next Summer . . . I do remember summer camp as a child and I couldn't wait to get back home each time. Haha. I hope you have a great week, Harvee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Itinerary is my kind of read! Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your reads and am a great fan of armchair traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sound like fun summer reads. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These summer reads all look good. Enjoy them! One of my favorite summer books is Night in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So looking forward to reading Until Next Summer by Ali Brady

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you find better summer reads as the season goes on!

    Wishing you a wonderful reading week

    ReplyDelete
  12. Until Next Summer looks great!! I have a thing for books at summer camps though, even though I never went to one, and would have hated it if I had. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just about to start 'Fracture - Life and Culture in the West 1918-1938' by Philipp Blom. Then its continuing my Holmes read-along with 'The Return of Sherlock Holmes' by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Itinerary sounds cute. Hope you enjoy your reading week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-june-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry these summer books didn't knock your socks off. I am trying to think of a summer-themed novel ... and I hope to read The Cliffs by J. Courtney Sullivan which is coming out July 2. Apparently it's a summer novel set in Maine. Try it out. fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of summer reads to get your summer started. I'm always a sucker for summer camp books, but it's The Itinerary that appeals to me most. Hope the rest of your summer reads are 4- and 5-star ones. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like the sound of The Itinerary mainly as it brings me memories of backpacking in Europe and the fact that I wish I had a summer vacation planned but no such luck. Anyway, hope your next summer reads are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of these look fantastic but I'm especially intrigued by The Itinerary. That sounds especially fun. I hope you're having a great week and enjoying your books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some fun covers. Hope you enjoy them all.
    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Sunday Salon: A Psychological Thriller and Novels of Vietnamese Women

  Just finished The Last Days of Kira Mullan , by Nicci French. March 2025, William Morrow, NetGalley Chef and restaurant owner Nancy North ...