Aug 31, 2024

Joie de Vivre in France, Paris in the 1960s, and a Novel in French:Three Books

 In my mailbox: France and the French


 Joie de Vivre: Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French

 Joie de Vivre:  Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French

by Harriet Welty Rochefort, October 2, 2012, Thomas Dunne Books

 I love all the tips about visiting and/or living in France among the French, from their food, to their customs, to the French love of bureaucracy, to marrying a Frenchman, living among the French, and much more.

The author is an American who visited Paris and met and married a Frenchman. Of course, they still live in France and are still trying to understand each other! 

I am enjoying the author's advice on meeting and greeting various people, expecting the French love of argument and conflict in conversation, which they see as just so much fun, and their petit habits - eating petit, having petit amusements, finding joy in small moments like petit snacks, petit promenades, etc. The word petit implies a small joy. 

The French joie de vivre or love of life is made evident throughout  the book. Though this memoir was printed about 12 years ago, I am assuming not too much has changed culturally. So, I'm getting prepared for a visit to Paris and France by taking in the book's advice for armchair travel or actual travel!

I won this book in a sweepstakes from this year's July in Paris hosted by Words and Peace.

 


The Propagandist
by Cecile Desprairies, in translation

Published October 8, 2024; New Vessel Press ARC

Genre: historical fiction, autobiographical novel

Fascinating book about French women who informally reveal their past role in Nazi occupied France. 

Description: In a grand Paris apartment, a young girl attends gatherings regularly organized by her mother (late 1960s). The women talk about beauty secrets and gossip, but the mood grows dark when the past, notably World War II, comes under coded discussion in hushed tones. Years later, the silent witness to these sessions has become a prominent historian, and with this chilling autobiographical novel she sets out to unmask enigmatic figures in and around her family. Why, she seeks to understand, did they betray their Jewish neighbors and zealously collaborate with the Nazi occupation of France, remaining for decades hence obsessive devotees of that evil lost cause.

I'm one third of the way into the book. I find it intriguing that the author was the young girl who listened in to the women as they discussed their Nazi sympathies during the war. 

I won an ARC of this book from Words and Peace, in a giveaway during July in Paris 2024



I meant to buy this 1973 Italian detective novel in English, but landed up with the French translation, La Femme du Dimanche. Lucky for me, the French version is half the price of the English. I'll be using my dictionary to slowly read it. 

It was made years ago into a film available through Amazon Prime, and is by the same authors who wrote The Lover of No Fixed Abode (see Aug. 17 Sunday Salon post). 


Curious about Brazil, I found the perfect book that describes Rio and the beauty as well as the poverty and conflicts of the people there. 


Tropicália: A Novel by Harold Rogers

July 18, 2023; Atria Books
Genre: fiction, Brazil

Description:
Old secrets are brought to light when a family matriarch returns to Brazil after years away in this “original and highly immersive” ( Good Morning America ) debut that explores the heartbreak and hope of what it means to be from two homes, two peoples, and two worlds.


What new books or programs are you reading/watching this week? 

Memes:  The Sunday Post hosted by The Caffeinated BookreviewerAlso, It's Monday: What Are You Reading, Sunday Salon, and Stacking the Shelves 
 

Note: Amazon Affiliate and will earn a small commission with  purchases made through the blog links, at no extra cost to you.


24 comments:

  1. Looks like some fun ones there! I really ought to read more in other languages (well... French, the only other language I speak, haha) myself. Enjoy!

    My weekly roundup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the clever plots of mystery/thriller novels by Michel Bussi, some of whose books have been translated into English. I read the French. His books are set mostly in Normandy or in one of the French regions overseas, such as the island of Reunion.

      Delete
  2. So glad you are enjoying these 2 books you won through my blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joie de Vivre: Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French sounds like a book I'd love to read.

    It's wonderful that you are going to read La Femme du Dimanche in French. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just about to start 'The Romans Who Shaped Britain' by Sam Moorhead and David Stuttard. After that it'll be 'The 39 Steps' by John Buchan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joie de Vivre is perfect for me to keep in mind next time Paris in July rolls around; it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound like interesting books. I hope that you enjoy them. I haven't been to Paris for years, but I do enjoy going there - so much to see!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/08/31/stacking-the-shelves-75/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the first two books. ThemPropagandist sounds intense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joie de Vivre: Secrets of Wining, Dining, and Romancing Like the French looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Francophile so I will check out these books. Thank you for sharing.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. These books are seriously interesting! I will be checking them out - except for the one in French. I speak zero French.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cover of Joie de Vivre...and I am drawn to The Sunday Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tropicalia intrigues me. Both my parents spent time in Brazil when they were younger, so I've always been curious to know more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to read books in French or Spanish to try to keep up my skills in those languages that I studied in college but I've gotten out of the habit over the years. It's probably one that I should pick up once again. It's a good way to learn more empathy for those whose native language it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be able to read fairly competently French language nonfiction, but I never did get over my struggles reading fiction because of all of the slang and other conversational French. I can't even imagine trying to read one of those, dictionary in hand. Good luck, hope it works well for you.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I usually read on kindle and use their built in dictionary which will translate phrases as well as words. I may read the French paper book to get the gist of it but won’t look up
      All the words.

      Delete
  15. The books you won from Words and Peace sound very good. We have been watching a show called Killing It on Peacock. It stars Craig Robinson from The Office. It's very quirky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These all sound interesting. My French isn't strong enough to tackle most of them though. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cool, I've always wanted to visit France! The cover for Joie de Vivre looks so good, and it sounds like an interesting book to read too. I might pick it up if I ever get a chance to visit France! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've read one of Harriet's books before, liked it. Thanks for highlighting the others. They look great,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both of these French titles sound promising!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joie de Vivre sounds like such a fun book! And, reading a book in French simply blows me away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joie de Vivre sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joie de Vivre sounds fun! I suspect the love of arguement would drive me crazy but I love the embace of petit! Tropicalia sounds interesting and I'm not sure I've read anything set in Brazil. I hope you're having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, and Shanghai by Joseph Kanon, Historical Novel set in the late 1930s.

  The Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, December 17, 2024; Minotaur Books/NetGalley Genre: detective novel, Tokyo The body of Ryota Uetsuj...