Sep 7, 2024

Sunday Salon: Love the Stranger, and Christmas Books

 

Love the Stranger (A Queens Mystery) by Michael Sears December 3, 2024, Soho Crime ARC


Description

Ted Molloy, a Queens attorney, investigates the murder of a corrupt immigration lawyer in the follow-up to the 2022 Nero Award winner Tower of Babel.

I'm half way through this mystery novel, a legal thriller, set in Queens, NY. I enjoy the setting, reading about the multicultural, multilingual residents in the diverse area of shops, restaurants, coffee houses, grocery stores, and more in this borough of NYC.

In the book, a teenager from Yemen is suspected by neighborhood activist Kenzie, of being the hooded figure she saw leaving the scene of a crime - the murder of an immigration lawyer known to fleece his clients. However, the lawyer's files show that there may be more to his dealings than simply a disgruntled immigrant. 

I'm reading on to see what's behind the crime and the motives. 

 Christmas cozy and romance

Published August 17, 2024; BooksGoSocial

Description: He tries to live and let live. But when a killer drops by for Xmas, can this retired copper keep an innocent from going down for the crime?

England, 1964. Ex-police inspector Tom Ramsay agrees to a shared vacation with his assistant, her parents, and his loyal dog. But soon after they arrive at the hotel, the good tidings take a deadly dive when his assistant’s mother is found crouched over a corpse holding a knife.




Christmas at the Little Paris Hotel by Rebecca Raisin, September 17, 2024; Boldwood Books
 
Description: Turn a tumbledown Paris hotel into a perfect boutique, bookish retreat, and have it open for Christmas? What could possibly go wrong?

When Anais receives a near-derelict Paris hotel in her divorce settlement, her first thought is to tidy it up and sell it immediately. All she wants is to move on and forget her disaster of a marriage ever happened.


What books are you reading this week? 

Note: Amazon Affiliate and will earn a small commission with  purchases made through the blog links, at no extra cost to you.


12 comments:

  1. I love that cover of Dark Deeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of Christmas at the Little Paris Hotel. Who wouldn't love to fix up a hotel in Paris and spend Christmas there?

    Dark Deeds on a White Christmas sounds promising, too. There's something about a detective with a dog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the covers especially the dog and snow on the first one. I rarely read Christmas books but I have a few on my list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these Christmas titles are making me want to pick up a winter holiday-themed novel! Love the Stranger sounds like a good mystery. I hope you enjoy all of these, Harvee. Have a great weekend and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas at the Little Paris Hotel sounds so cute! Oo now I am dreaming of winter and Christmastime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The James and Sears books both sound like ones I might like to read. I'm adding them to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I'm already complaining that we had 2 nights in the 40s, so definitely not ready for Christmas snowy covers, lol
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/09/08/sunday-post-114-getting-cold/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you are already reading Christmas books! I don't feel ready to leave the summer ones behind yet, LOL! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can’t wait to read Christmas books. I need it to get cooler first.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Presently really enjoying 'Echolands - A Journey in Search of Boudica' by Duncan Mackay. Then I'll be continuing my Classics reading with ''The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Oscar Wilde.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover of Love the Stranger is really an eye-catcher. I don't know the author or the series although that name seems to want to ring a bell for me. Just can't figure out why because I know I've not read him before.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adding both the Christmas books to my TBR - especially Dark Deeds on a White Christmas. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, and Shanghai by Joseph Kanon, Historical Novel set in the late 1930s.

  The Invisible Helix by Keigo Higashino, December 17, 2024; Minotaur Books/NetGalley Genre: detective novel, Tokyo The body of Ryota Uetsuj...