Sep 15, 2009

Book Review: The Hidden Man by David Ellis



A teaser sentence from the thriller, The Hidden Man by David Ellis:


"I'll do that," I promised. "But I need more than a month to prepare, Sam. I need six months, minimum."


(ch. 10, from an uncorrected proof. Final edition may differ.)
I thought the plot of this mystery was very good. I also like the relationship between the lawyer Jason Kolarich and his childhood playmate, Sammy, who suddenly, just before the trial, requests that Jason defend him in a case of suspected murder. Jason balks but then reluctantly agrees; he and Sammy go back a long way. Sammy hasn't confessed to the crime, and no one except the law seems to blame him for the death of a pedophile suspected in the disappearance of his little sister Audrey thirty years ago.

The Hidden Man has lots of twists and turns, enough to keep you going, although I had to navigate a maze of different ways to try a case and to defend in criminal court. Those familiar with courts and trial law will get the most out of the intricacies of this very good legal thriller.

From the publisher:

" Jason Kolarich is a midwestern everyman with a lineman's build and an easy smart-ass remark. He's a young, intelligent, and successful lawyer, but he's also struggling with an overwhelming emotional burden - one that threatens to unravel his own life, and possibly the lives of those around him.

When a long-estranged friend resurfaces needing Kolarich's legal help, the lawyer has to try to salve old wounds. Yet as the trial looms, it becomes clear that unsettling events from the past are precisely what need to be exposed in order to crack not only this case but also a mysteriously connected one that went unsolved more than thirty years ago."

Author David Ellis, an attorney from Chicago, is counsel to the speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives and was the prosecutor in the Governor Rod Blagojevich impeachment trial. He has written six other mystery novels and is an Edgar Award winner.

Thanks to Putnam, New York for an advance review copy.

Bookmark and Share


9 comments:

  1. more time . . . for what. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review and teaser. Sounds like an interesting mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read, Harvee!

    I haven't read a legal thriller in a while.

    Here's mine! - still thinking -- six months to do what???

    Sassy
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to read my copy now!! Great teaser!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaye and Sassy Brit: Six months - Jason needs more time to plan a good defense for his old pal Sammy, who is charged with murder. But he goes ahead anyway, in what time he has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the review and teaser!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I see, thanks! The plot thickens! ha! I do like this book, from what you've said.

    I hope you don't mind, Harvee, but I've tagged you with my What's on your Desk Wednesday? bookish meme. I'd love to see your shelves! LOL Crazy, I know!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one sitting in the pile. Sounds like I should try to get around to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this on in my TBR stack. Can't wait to get to it. Great teaser!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments and thoughts...

Three Novels: Japanese Mystery; Family Drama; Ecuadorian

  Books in the mail The Night of Baba Yaga  by Akira Otani (translated from the Japanese). July 2, 2024, Soho Crime This is an unusual novel...